Where do they go?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Redneck in a Skiboat, May 2, 2009.

1. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Two weeks ago, I was catching crappie like crazy close to the bank around docks, brush, and sea walls. I didn't go to that lake last week, and when I got there this week they were gone. I backed off and fished a little deeper and nothing. It was hot and the water surface temp was 79°F. I fished from 5pm until dark at about 8:30. I've been fishing 0-8 feet and tried 0-15 this week. Will they move all the back to the creek run or do they just stop biting for awhile after they spawn? I talked to several others at the landing and they were all catching fish until this week.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I went trout fishing this morning with not much luck. Decided to go back this evening with minnow as soon as they hit the water i started pulling in the crappie switched over hooks and ran a bobber set up and caught 19 this evening.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Big difference between PA and SC though. I would imagine they are done spawning down in SC by now. Try mainlake points. Fish a little deeper on these points around structure. Secondary drop offs can be good too. The fish are probably going to be scattered. I know alot of the southern guys troll this time of year to cover water and find the fish.

4. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Your right Max we are seeing surface temps in the 80's on some of the small Reservoirs and 70's on the bigger ones. Our daily high's are around 90° except for today which was cooler because of rain and overcast skis. I was catching spawning fish two weeks ago. Where I live in Anderson we are within 45 minutes of five reservoirs and within an hour of two more. Ever river near here is dammed up for hydro-electric or to cool reactors. The power you are using at peak times probally comes from SC. It makes for some great fishing and boating. I'm just getting into trolling and drifting for crappie, but with all the Stripers, hybrids, and catfish I just can't stay on them all.