Where do the jumping Asian carp live?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by TX Fisherman, Aug 26, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    where do the jumping asain carp live? like where in the U.S.?

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sadly they are all over. they are in the southern rivers heading north and can now be found in the missisippi, ohio and alot of tributaries, there is 1 other river but cant remeber the name of it . it started of with all them floods a few years ago people stocked them to keep lakes clean while raising fish. when the miss. flooded the carp escaped. there is a great video on you tube that explains all this, how they thrive in cold water. they have elctric fences along all water ways entering the great lakes. this is so they do not get in there they say if they do in 15 years almost all other fish life will not be able to surrvie. go watch this video it is in 3 different parts. just look up asian carp on youtube. it is now illegal to trow one of these back in some states due to the problem

3. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    lots of them in the illinois and mississippi rivers for sure.

4. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
  5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri River, and it's tributaries are full of them too.:angry::sad2:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Oh, about 80% of the entire Mississippi river basin. Eradicate!!

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    New shooting game.. Pontoon boat with shooting stations set on each corner. cruise thru Asian carp area and see how many carp you can splash with a box of #6's...:smile2::smile2:

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    so there are none in texas???

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As far as I know ,there arent any in New Mexico either Kev,I'd like it very much to stay that way too.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    okay good, i watched that documentary, whew that would really really really be bad..... those thing can eat half there body weight in a day! thats rediculas!

11. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I saw a report about them on the news. there were so many huge fish jumping! then they talked about guys wingshooting them with shotguns. and bowfisherman shooting them out of the air. i would love to give that a try:roll_eyes:

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    utube has some great videos of these flying varmits!!!

13. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    so here is a dumb question.what do they eat?

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well James first of all thats not a dumb question.Hadn't really thought about what they do eat so would like to know the answer to that myself.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I think it is more along the lines of What don't they eat?

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Here is a bit of many, many reports on them. From alot of reading on them they will pretty much just wipe out an ecosystem before long and the big problem is they grow so fast that they are not many predator fish to take them on.............
    Asian carp, a humongous plankton-gobbling fish that has been dubbed the underwater lawn mower, is getting so close to Lake Michigan that scientists worry it could wipe out sport fish in the Great Lakes.
    Nervous authorities are hoping an electric barrier on a canal near Chicago will prevent the fish from dipping a fin in the Great Lakes.
    The Asian carp, which made its way into the Mississippi River from Arkansas fish farms in the 1970s, steadily has swum upstream for years at a pace of 40 to 50 miles a year. It's now near the Quad Cities on the Mississippi and may be only 25 miles from Lake Michigan on the Illinois River.
    It can grow so big - more than 100 pounds and four feet long - that it quickly out-muscles any predators. It can jump as high as 15 feet and has broken the nose of at least one commercial angler. It snacks on plankton - the base of the aquatic food chain - at a pace of two to three times its weight each day. That doesn't leave much for other creatures to eat.
    While scientists have no idea if Asian carp could survive in the Great Lakes, they don't want to find out.
    "The worst case is that they would find it very suitable and very much to their liking, and they would grow to huge population numbers and compete with sport fish like yellow perch, walleye and smallmouth bass," said John Rogner, field supervisor of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office in Chicago.

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I've seen them down here, my friend cast-netted a 12 pounder....I've also seen one jump in the Vermilion here in Lafayette as a boat passed by, but they aren't so densly populated here as they are further up the mississippi, compared to the videos at least....do they prefer colder water than down here?

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yes, they do prefer cold water. the Illinois River is where they are the most thick.