Where do I get some skipjack at in Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jayriverrat, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey Everybody, Where can I get some skipjack at? I fish the Meramac an Mississippi there at the mouth and do ok most of the time but I want some skipjack to see if my catch can improve. If you got any pointers please feel free to help. Thanks alot in advance everybody.

Jason

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have catch them in whitewater/tailraces. Right now they are below dam #22 where I live on the missi river. Often they are around wing dikes where water flows over. Throw small 1/32 jigs tied 2 or 3 in a row and reel them in fast (usually). You can often see skippies, because the minnows are flying and they race across the top. Well, that is my system. They like fastwater. Hannibal Mike

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Jason, I fish the same stretch of river that you do and I have been unable to locate the Skippies with any regularity to even target them. The only place I know of that they do get some success is the chain of rocks bridge up at Saint Louis. Maybe Kutter can shed some light as he's fished the area alot longer than me. If you find em, let me know.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Also, when the Skippies are running down at Ky Lake, You can go down there and catch a few bucket loads and freeze them for use on the river. If you ever want to run down to Ky. Lake and get some, let me know.

5. kccatman

kccatman New Member

State:
    kansas
    ok u can go to chain of rocks in alton ill on the missisippi

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I got an email from Willy today. He went below the chain of rocks yesterday and in short order caught 300 big skipjack for the freezer. Man, he's sitting on gold. PM him for more info he might have on where he found them. I know he was in his boat and did'nt have much luck in the normal location on the IL side. He can give you the particulars.

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am in Hannibal and was thinking of going to Alton for the first time to fish this Thursday. I am not sure were to put in or where Chain of Rocks is located. Is it below the Dam? I'ld like to catch some skippies for bait, fun, and the future. My nephew has a boat. Hannibal Mike

8. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    My advise is to get with CUZ.
    Go to KY lake and have alot of fun doing it. That's where I go. I almost alway's bring home 80lb's + of skip jack for the freezer. ( freeze your skipjack individually in at least 3 sheet's of newspaper and they will keep their color and last longer in warm weather when not in the cooler) Have fun!

9. jayriverrat

jayriverrat New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey thanks guy's for all the info. Yeah Cuz anytime you wanna go just give me a shot out I am ready when ever.

Jason