where do i get a pull rope

Discussion in 'Boating' started by nevets91, Sep 28, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    my old rope for my johnson got dry rotted and broke so i replaced it with some rope i had in the boat for now but it breaks very easy also. i wanna get a brand new rope where can i find this?

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You can get small motor rip coards from many hardware stores. I usually get mine from a local ACE Hardware chain called Zettler. I'm sure Lowes and Home Depot have them as well.

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks ill jhave to check there

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just go any where they sale rope and get some braided nylon the same size as the rope you broke.cut off what ya want and follaw the design of the one ya broke.lots cheeper to build your own.

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Most lawnmower shops will have spools of it in various sizes. It's usually white with blue stripes. Have them cut it to the length you need.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    They do, and if cost isn't a concern, that's a great place to get the rope. However, that "pull cord" from the lawn mower stores is usually fairly expensive. At least compared to practically the same stuff from the hardware stores. The "real" cord is probably a bit nicer/stronger, but I don't think it lasts long enough to counter the cost difference. Just use the extra cash and buy enough for a 2nd refill, and you will still probably save a bit of money.

I use the hardware rope for my commercial mowers, and I have only had to replace it 1 time on each mower...after 10 years or so of quite hard usage. A much better cost for usage.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I'd get some double braid nylon rope from the hardware store. Should be much cheaper and I would imagine stronger and would last longer.