Where do gars go in winter?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by BKS72, Dec 20, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've noticed that up until about early June the gars seem to be out of action. Anybody have any idea what they do during the winter? I'm assuming they're lying dormant somewhere, but for all I know they could migrate from Kansas City where I'm at to some giant gar convention near Mobile, AL via the Tom Bigbee waterway. Thanks in advance,

Branden

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont know where they go, but here in Ohio I have caught car in January in a castnet.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have seen gar thick in the winter below warm water disscharges, and around any other moving water that may be warmer being dumped into the river...rollo

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I know where the gars go. LOL. They were all around my boat last night and wouldn't leave my bait alone. It was quite annoying. I was fishing near a hot water discharge.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    To the Carribean if they are smart.:smile2:

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    A couple weeks ago, a buddy and I went out and while trying to catch some shad, we netted one in the cast net. It was in a backwater marina area in about 4 or 5 feet of water. They are around just not as active in the winter i guess. rspd507

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For a good part of my life, I thought that gar were a warm-water fish. But back in the mid 1980s, I was fishing below Blakely Dam, which forms Lake Ouachita, and saw a guy catch a 5' long gar. This area below the dam is cold enough to contain trout...stocked, of course, but the water is still very cold. But the gar could have gone just a few miles downstream into Lake Hamilton and into much warmer water.
    I was also surprised to find common carp in the Missouri River at Great Falls, Montana while trout fishing. Again, I had always thought of them as inhabiting warm, muddy waters.

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i caught a solid black gar about 4 foot long in last january in the santee cooper lakes...and i hooked one and seen him jump about 20 feet from tha boat i KNOW he would have been the new state record long nose gar.he had to be 6 1/2 -7 foot long but he threw tha hook....man that sucked:smile2:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Maybe to the Gar'age' :wink::smile2:

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    This is a question many gar-anglers like myself ask. I've caught them regularly in the cast net in water from 1-2 feet deep with water temps around 50 degrees, I think they just lie dormant until a very easy meal comes by or until they are disturbed (cast net would anger me quite a bit too)

I know I've seen them in november in a clear slough behind my camp, and they were so still that they looked like logs covered in mud...which they actually were covered in "dust."