where do flathead catfish spawn

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by russ, Jul 16, 2009.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    do flathead spawn in the rocks like blues do, i don't get many Flatheads they don't hang out where i fish. the reason i ask is, i went out last night after a big storm we had . i set up on a few spots nothing, set up on a dike thats under water but had a 70 ft hole behind it. put my lines out sat down and slam. great fight . got it in it was a flathead he was all ruffed up like a blue that had been on a bed, he was 19.3 and very thin, should have been a high 20s fish with his length. i always thought they spawned in log jams. just wondering

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    They spawn IN THE WATER. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

I'm with you Russ. Everything I've always read/heard is that Flats spawn in mud holes, log jams, undercut banks, crevices, crannies, etc. Tis the reason the noodlers often place 50 gallon drums in the water with only a hole in one side. Dont really know for sure though. A quick email to the Missouri Department Of Conservations Wildlife biologist would probably yield the best information. He's a pretty darn knowledgable catfish man.

3. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    IMO
    they spawn where ever its good

some noodlers use scuba gear to go down deep
    as long as there is a place to protect the eggs
    they will lay.

i think that male pulled into the hole on the dike
    to put his feed bag back on hes done with his parental
    chores. (must be nice):smile2::smile2:

later
    slider

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Theres a cut bank on the miss where I like to fish for flatheads. About a hundred feet out theres a big ole hole. I like to fish between the bank and the hole at night or evening. Anyway about 4 years ago around july I was fishing there and I could see all these big flatheads in there just kinda of moving around but they would not bite. I believe they were in there protecting the eggs.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    How did you know you were looking at flathead catfish????

6. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL

+1

7. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    "Ability to see through muddy water" is a superpower I would like and has subsequently moved to the top of my wish list:

1. Super eyeballs
    2. Be able to go without sleep
    3. Flying
    4. Mind reading

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

3. Be able to go without sleep = That is the Methamphetamine diet plan...very effective in keeping you awake hours on end, just not highly recommended....:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Not to mention the side effects on your "grill", make sure your dental plan is up to date! :wink:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  9. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Dudes got a bad case of skip tooth

10. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    i took them to be flatheads by the shapes of their mouths. It was the wierdest thing as it was almost like they were going around in a circle and comming real close to the top of the water.

11. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    a long time ago before they ever let water from the gates between the locks, late one nite back before the big head ,we seen these mouths sucking right under the surface we tryed jugging for them but nothing took the gaf and swung at one ,that was my first dealing with the big head

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Yeah, thats what I seen except it was in the evening. It took me awhile to figure out what the hell I was seeing but you described it pretty good.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It doesnt happen alot on the Sippi, much more common on the impounded streams like the Ohio and Tenn etc, but there are a certain set of conditions in the water (super hot water, little to no current etc) That put catfish of all species in a state of distress. There just isnt enough oxygen content in the water to sustain them, so they survive by coming to the surface and gulping air. Craziest thing I've ever seen. If you see catfish doing this, you might as well reel the rods up and go to the house. Your not going to catch diddly. It is pretty neat to use your spotlight and watch 60-80 pound fish gulping air though. Sadly, this distress does kill alot of fish, but most are able to make it. They do it mostly at night time as the air is cooler, and has a higher oxygen content. Flatheads and Blues both do this. That may have been what you were seeing Patrick.

Mother nature is pretty impressive sometimes.

14. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I knew gar could do that but not catfish.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just read some articles. When the fish do this they are actually in a state of respiratory distress. Pretty wild. Just google catfish air gulping. Dozens of pages on it if your really bored.

16. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Your story sparked memories from an ole timer who said just as you Patrick… I have seen a lot of awesome things and such experiences one does not forget, this one you shared I have not seen but have known one (now two) who has… was looking though some material and found an article from in-fisherman about such an event… Flathead fishing is very unique, though blue fisherman catch them incidentally, both have their own world… I’ve been out having a blast catching channels and a few flatheads lately and it’s been quite refreshing to leave the blues waters for while… I would encourage anybody to diversify, if just for a change of pace, never know what knew things they might see… Oh, the person I knew that saw the flathead migration was my grandfather who targeted them more than anyone I have known… here’s part of the article from in-fisherman about another such siting.

In-Fisherman… Catfish… Book 2... Location… page 117
    From 1930 to 1990, Tommy Burns worked a 30-mile stretch of the Kansas River as a commercial fisherman. Gete Hibdon, meanwhile, plied Lake of the Ozarks as a multispecies guide from 1930 to the mid-1960s, a workplace that spanned nearly 100 miles.
    These two observant catmen were afloat so often that they saw catfish do things that few fisheries biologists (or others for that matter) have ever seen. And some of the antics that Burns and Hibdon witnessed continue to defy modern wisdom.
    For instance, Burns once saw thousands of flatheads frolicking on the surface over submerged sandbars during their spring migration from the Missouri River to spawning sites on the Kansas River and its tributaries. Some years, the schools covered almost an acre of water.
    After spawning, the flatheads commenced their migration, following creases in the currant, moving single file in a long column. As they moseyed upstream, they often swam so near the surface that their dorsal fins poked out of the water like sharks.

I’ve been blessed in my life to have crossed paths with such individuals… the BOC provides a platform for us to share, if we don’t share than how can we educate or inform others… Hope this provide more data on the subject… next time anyone see’s such a site, hopefully someone will speak up who has also saw such a wonder… Oh, I have saw channel cats coming to the surface with their backs and dorsal fins out of the water on the Lamine River south/west of Columbia, Mo…
    The subject Cuz spoke of was what the other man in the article saw and said blues would travel for miles to find aerated water.

17. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I think what you were seeing is big heads and buffalo because I seen this last weekend on the sippi before dark and they were everywhere.