Where do channel catfish go in high water.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by susquhanna catman, Jun 4, 2006.

1. susquhanna catman

susquhanna catman New Member

State:
    New York
    we have had a lot of rain up here in n.y. this week.
    and we had our local tourny on the river.
    but, all my hot spots were dead. i couldn't buy a hit.
    where did they disappear to.
    couldn't find them in shallow our deep. PLEASE HELP.:sad2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Time has told me that you may find them in spots that usually don't have that much water but do now. Brand new source of food for em. Give it a shot. I think you will be pleased.

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    they should be stacked up in the creeks if you have had a lot of rain. they will move up stream to feed and then back down again when the water drops. also, channels are starting to spawn so the bite may be a little slow due to that also.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Glenn.Down here in the South most fish (including cats) are out in the flooded areas feeding on all of the drowned and alive prey that is trying to escape the flooded area.So much food is available and they are so scattered that it is hard to catch anything.peewee-williams

5. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Read An Article Once That Said When The Creeks And Rivers Get Out Over The River Banks. If There Are Spots Where The Water Is Over Roads That Those Are Great Places To Fish. Also Heard That The Fish Will Follow Ditches And Open Spots In The Trees Along The Banks To Get Out In The Open Fields.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I learned from all the guys on here that they'll stack up in the mouths or up feeder creeks. Here in our local river, they'll also stack up behind a lowhead dam. Hope this helped.

-Red

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Been catching a lot of cats 4-10 lb. foot from shore. 7 cleaned the other night and all 7 had mice in them. The rivers are running reaaly high and the cats come in to grub:wink:

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My dad once told me that during the high waters the cats would be up feeding on grain washed in from the fields. I think he was both right and wrong. They are up in those areas, but they are feeding on worms, mice, and any other meat that was washing in.

One old feller only fished during high water and only used nightcrawlers at feeder creeks. The theory was that the bigger cats would be waiting for worms to wash in. Whatever those cats were waiting for, they were there.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When the water is up I look for slack water and current breaks. Anything that slows down the heavy current is good to fish around and any what I call dimples in the bank where the water becomes slack and moves in a slow circular manner is a good spot.

10. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I think everyone here is leading you on the tright track hoss. Good luck.

11. susquhanna catman

susquhanna catman New Member

State:
    New York
    thanks to everyone for the help. i was definently fishing in the wrong spot.
    i tried all different spots, but they were all around the holes.
    not the shallows or streams. thanks again.

12. deerandcathunter

deerandcathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have high water in central ohio also and we did pretty well casting a light weight rig out into the channel on the shallow half of the resevoir and letting the current carry the bait down river. I got bit almost everytime. Cut shad was the ticket. We were sitting in 5 feet of water and casting out into the channel which is about 10 feet deep on the north half of the resevoir. Tons of water moving into the resevior and tons of feeding cats.

13. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    In that area i went over afew times where the catfish go when the water is up. they get run into the feeder creeks. the feeder creeks are where the main water source comes from to the river or lake. cut shad creek chubs along with other baits are also good to use in the areas,

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have real good luck hugging the bank & I mean right on the bank when the river is really coming up or has reached its peak. I'm almost to the point of not going when the river starts falling its tough for me..Abu65

15. TastyWhisker

TastyWhisker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look for any current in a newly flooded area. That current will hold fish that are feeding. It's new, it's full of food, and it's highly oxygenized. I did this on the lake I live on and it works every time. You don't necessarily want to fish right in the current but in the slack water or some distance straight out from the heavy current.

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm glad someone asked this, and thanks everyone for all the advice. Maybe it will help me start getting bites again too.