Where did the shad go

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by powercat, Apr 25, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I fish LOZ in Missouri and have been finding shad all spring in shallow coves 2' to 5' deep. This past week they have disappeared, you don't see them flipping and have not been able to find them casting a net. They have moved but where. If anyone has ideas and why I would appreciate hearing from you, if they are spawning wouldn't they spawn in shallow water also?:confused2:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my thought would be that they're done spawning and moved out to deeper waters to feed.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You'll just have to go look for them. Use your sonar and they'll turn up somewhere...

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    We Have not been able to find shand for a while. I sure shad catching gets better.

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Think Scotts got it right. I have noticed shad and goldeye patterns change since water temps left the 50's and climbed into 60's.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well here the water temps are in the mid/high-70's and I still cannot find shad...a few weeks ago I was getting big ones on almost every cast, but now all I can manage is mullet (sometimes!!) I was catching them in 3feet of water and now I have no clue.

Im also not sure how they show up on the sonar because there is so much trash that also goes down the river and it gets picked up on the sonar as well.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Been a few weeks-did you get on them yet? Try deep?

I have been so productive just working creek that havent had to go anywhere else with these high waters we are having here. Tossing my little 4ft net right up against banks.
    Lots of goldeye, carp,shad,sauger,croppie,bluegill,LM bass..... with each one more abundant at different water levels. Some definite patterns for predictability obvious by water levels in river and creek. High water=more shad and goldeye. Normal flow= more bgill,croppie,carp.

8. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I bought a green flourescent light from bass pro shop and placed it in the water at the edge of our dock. I casted the net thirty minutes after sunset and got no shad. The water around the light appeared to get murkier as time passed and more small minnows appeared around it, I suspect plankten was being attracted to the light. I casted the net again after the light had been in the water for a little over one hour and caught 7 large shad with one cast and made a second cast a short time later and caught 2 more. The green light might be a secret weapon in getting shad.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Was on Mark Twain last weekend and the fish finder showed em all at 8'-12'
    in 30'-40' of water.....