Where can you find skipjack on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by madmatt010, Feb 20, 2007.

1. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    I live in dayton and if i want to use skipes i have to buy them and there $6.00 and it gets expesive quick. i was wondering where i could go to stock up on some i dont mind the drive down to the ohio i just dont know where at to go

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc matt , the ohio river is usually a good place to get skippies they like lots of oxygen and fast current so you might head to your local dam and fish below it . jigs and sabili rigs work well but you need to add some extra weight to the end of the line to get down deeper in swift current . i prefer bright colors red white , green white , yellow white all can be found at bps sabiki's sell for lil over $2 and have six small but very sharp hooks on the same line you might check your state laws on number of hooks permitted per line could prevent a hefty fine good luck and be sure and let us know if you are productive

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    In Ohio you can have up to 3 hooks per line according to the last regs that I have read.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While sabiki rigs are very effective, I've always preferred attaching a couple of crappie jigs to the end of my line. But, I catch most of my skippies over at Pickwick Dam on the Tennessee River where they average almost 2# apiece. I really don't want more than a couple on my line at once.