Where can I get lead to make no roll sinkers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, Dec 27, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am looking for a place to get lead. I have tried every tire store in town. I get all kind of answers from $25.00 a 5 gal bucket to we re-use the tire weights. can you believe this crap. :confused: :cursing: :mad:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to get the tire weights from tire shops years back but they wont give them away anymore. if you know any roofers there are some kinda lead plates they use around the vent posts that they might come across when tearing off an old roof. try a scrap yard too, they will sell you lead at a pretty cheap price. if a five gallon bucket is full and you can barely move it i think $25 would be a fair price seeing how those ingots you buy are $2 a pound. a freind of mine's dad is retired and he roams the alleys lookin for scrap metal just to have somethin to do and he gets me all kinds of lead.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    25 bucks seems like a good price if the bucket is full.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Forgot to tell you Mellon has like 400-lbs of pure clean lead..He just gave me 20 -lbs of sinkers, these things are as pure as you can get, very shiny!

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
  6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    where did you come up with that picture? :confused: :D

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These are the sinkers I got from this very clean lead.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Man, that is a good looking bunch of lead! :D

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can you send me some $ for shipping? If so I've got X-Ray Room Lead! I'm not going to be using all of it. I could send ya several pounds of it. Or better yet, shoot the BOC swap thing is going on, I've posted some things I wanted, maybe we can work out something like that. Either way, dont fret, I've got some for ya.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    think youd pay more in shipping than that lead is worth!

11. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    verlon and mellon..yall can prolly ship the lead pretty cheap if itll fit in a flat rate box.....i think its only like $7 somthing for up to like.......grrr cant remember the weight but its quit a bit. ;)

12. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I bought weights on ebay 2 years ago and the post office wouldnt deliver it until I paid 10 more dollars in postage at the office. It had 7 or 8 dollars in postage already on it. And it was around 15-20 pounds.

13. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    a week ago i bought some no rolls off ebay and they where shipped in a flat rate box for $7 somthing and i had 4 10pc bags of 3 oz,4 10pc bags of 2oz and 2 bags of 1 1/2 oz and a bag of 1oz.

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Typical scrapyard price around here is 25-cents a pound. For that you get to pick it out of the pile or box, carry it to the scales, and pack it to your automobile and cut it into useable chunks when you get it home. Take some buckets or a wagon. The roof vent flashing is OK unless there's a bunch of tar on it. Be careful of old lead water pipes, as there may be water trapped in cavities within the lead and cuse an explosion when you set it in the hot pot. Best I've found is sheet lead from an x-ray booth that was demolished. Second is cable sheathing, but it's usually greasy. I was lucky one day to find 150 pounds of 5-lb ingots already poured, absolutely clean, for the same price. Get to know the scrapyard operator and he might give you a call when the good stuff comes around. I won't pay for wheelweights any more, they're too dirty, too much trouble to process, and have other alloys (zinc, aluminum) that make 'em pour hotter than pure lead.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would also like to add that catfish connection has great prices on bulk sinkers for those who dont like to make there own.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I paid $15 for a 5-gallon bucketful the last time I bought tire weights.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes the us mail has flat rate boxes for $7.95

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I can generaly get anywhere from 100# to 300# a trip just by going to the tire shops around here. I have yet to have to pay for any and won't as long as it is available to me this way. For the price I don't mind cleaning it at all.

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Same here J.W. I'm yet to pay for lead. I generally only have tire weights but the are free and plentiful. One of my good friends and fishing buddy works at a car dealership and he can get me all I want. Vern

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :confused: Hey top....check out Davis iron and metal...last i got was 5cents a pound...and it was in 25 lb incriments....of pure lead...