Where can I find blue catfish in Illinois?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Rat, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Blues
    Lake Storey Knox county
    LaSalle Lake LaSalle county
    Powerton lake Tazewell county
    Baldwin lake Randolph county
    Gladstone lake Henderson county
    Canton lake Fulton county
    Mississippi river
    Ohio river
    Wabash river

Stocking information
    Canton lake 1999-----2000 5 inch blues stocked
    2001-----------------2000 5 inch blues stocked

LaSalle lake 1999-----70,563 4.8 inch blues stocked
    They were also stocked in 2001 and 2003 but no numbers are available

Powerton lake 1999---35,000 4.4 inch blues stocked
    They were also stocked in 2001 and 2003 but no numbers are available.
    Rat

2. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Rat I have personally seen a 15# blue caught out of lake Springfield and heard rumors of larger ones. I wonder if they were stocked by individuals or the state stocked them.

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    rat i have always had luck at the il river the miss and missouri river
    i hope this helped rat

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ChuckB, yea Springfield is stocked by both the state and individuals. I fished the Bass Pro tourney in Alton earlier in the month and 20 of those fish were taken up to Lake Springfield to help stock the lake which I think is a bunch of BULL*$&! but Ken Freeman said that he had permission or whatever. There are also people from there that I know for a fact fish the river around here in Alton and keep fish to take up there and try to restock. This burns me up everytime I think about it and I KNOW for a fact that it happens because I have talked to the people and seen it done! Fish should stay in the waters they came out of and not taken somewhere else and CPR should be used on big ones! That is just my opinion and an answer to your question about Lake Springfield Blues. Lots of them have been stolen from the Mississippi River near Alton.

5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I was down at the river this morning and some one told me the same thing about them taking the blues to springfield. I guess its alright as long as they don/t take too many.

6. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I have cought alot of blues in the Illinois river not very big biggest I have cought was 15lb.

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Heard of 15+ in Powerton, and have seen 6-8lb blues come out of Lake Storey in Knox County. Down by the overflow dam on the west end of the lake there are 2 or 3 holes that are 30-40ft deep in normal pool. The guys use the gut pockets from gills to catch them(me to this year!).

Ray

8. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    One of the first blues I ever seen in my life was in Schyrush lake.

9. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Patrick, I dont think it right at all. First of it is a federal offense for any person to transport a game fish to another water like they are doing unless like in that tourney they have a special permit to do it. Also I mean how can we say what is too much? If they keep doing this it could have a direct impact on our waters and I personally would report anybody I knew that was doing it. It just isnt right (illegal) and morally wrong I think. I just dont agree with it at all!

10. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I'm with you teamcathazzard fish should stay in the water they were cought in.

11. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Twenty years ago we caught 10 Flatheads to every Blue in the Ohio river at Cave In Rock, now it is just the other way around, don't know if there are just a lot less Flatheads or a lot more Blues. I don't mind catching Blues they fight hard and contary to what most people try to tell me the ones I keep to eat are tastey.

12. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I was ther at that Bass Pro weigh in, and I looked it up in the regulations book, and it states it is illegal under tournament fishing rules. It says the fish have to be released to the waters they are taken from. I think Ken ought to be returned to his water.

13. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For those of us that are new transplants to illinois which one of those is closest to rockford? I always wanted me a big blue kitty.

14. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    He talked to us about this after the tourney. He had permission from the state and it was "legal" for him to do this apparently. There was a game warden called and it was said to be ok in this case. Which I dont care I think is bull@(#*! Anyways there are a few groups of people that are pushing for this and bluecats in Lake Springfield. Anyways I dont think this should happen and Ken Freeman said it was "for our kids and for kids to enjoy catching fish". First off, I dont have kids, but when I do they wont be at Springfield Lake. They are taking fish from our spot where our kids could fish to somewhere else because some people are whining that they want fish. That is rediculous!

15. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    First I agree. Second if you are talking about catfish they are not Game fish.
    I wish they were Game fish. It would change a lot of things I don't agree with.

16. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    There is an article in the State Journal today about the blues in Springfield. i tsaid that there is no viable option for hatchery raised blues available so the DNR has given permission for blues to transplanted from the Misssissippi into Springfield Lake to try and get a spawning base of fish. The article says that the forage base is more than adequate to support the blues. At present there have been 150 mature blues transplanted with hope for more. This is an attempt to provide a future blue fishery in Central Illinois.
    Eric

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    rob and jim ,
    i dont see what the alarming concern is for a quantity of catfish to be moved to another body of water for the reason of produceing more fish for other people to catch.
    you say you dont have children,and although i wont hold that against you . i will however point out that you used that fact in a way that to me
    sounds like you dont care if someone elses children or even other adults
    should be able to get a chance to catch a big blue catfish.

the mississippi with all its length width , tributaries ,slews, creeks,and
    oxbows i would think holds more than enough cats to be able to help supply other bodies of water around the area to give other catfishing enthusiasts an ample shot at landing one.

with gas as high as it is i would be greatfull if they would stock some of these area lakes better to keep from haveing to drive so far to catch
    a nice fish.

i would like to point out though that if the act of these transplants are shown to have a negative effect on either the river they were taken from ,or the lake they are put in then by all means i would be against it too.

we have a couple lakes about 40 miles away that have blues in it
    and i wonder how they got there?
    if they were transplants then i think it was great that they did it cause now this lake is always being talked about as a great catfish lake.
    i may have read what you typed wrong but it sounded to me like you were being stingy and selfish.:rolleyes:

we all would like to be able to catch fish from closer to where we live.
    so if this helps make that happen , then im all for it.

They are taking fish from our spot where our kids could fish to somewhere else because some people are whining that they want fish. That is rediculous!

18. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    First off I wonder why hatchery blues wont work for the lake? But second off, I prolly really wouldnt have a problem with them takin some small fish 10lb and under up there but that is not all that is taken. I also know that the fish that the state takes there are NOT the only fish that are taken there. There are some people from Springfield that fish our waters here in Alton quite frequently and they take the fish that they catch and release them there as well and I know that they arent all small fish. I am totally against keeping fish, but most of the time there isnt anything to do about it. I CPR everything over 10lbs and CPR 99.9% of the time anyways but I just dont see why they have to take fish from here to stock that lake. For all we know those fish they are taking could potentially be the next world record. I just think that the fish shouldnt be transported. I also know that the fish transported from that tourney, I cant see how everyone of them made it there alive. They had stock tanks plumb full of fish with some water and they didnt have any room to move. They are wanting to do this, but they arent even doing it professionally. That is just dumb not to take care of them. Just throw them in the back of a pickup without aerators and just throw them in there wall to wall? No, that is not the way to keep them alive. Maybe if you were from around here and saw this more you would disagree as well.

19. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Your right Rob, if more people knew the facts i think there would be no disagreement about what went on that day. The permit stated that smaller breeder cats(10-15lbs.) were to be taken to lake Springfield, & only from club members from Springfield that fished that tourny. From what i seen & was told there were no state bio's around to record any info. about the fish, no one knew about the about the transfer (its was all kept in the dark) until it happen, & you were right on the button when u said it was done unprofessoinally (two trucks w/ two tubs of fish with no O2) sound pretty shady, backwater to me. I really feel if everyone that was involved would have just been up front w/ what happen we wouldn't be talking about at all.

20. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I dont disagree with the transfer of fish from the Miss river to lake springfield. As long as it is donne with state permission. Which according to the article in the State Journal register it is. Second I dont think you can hurt the population with take in 150 blues from the Miss river. The commercial catfishermen rmove thousands of pounds of catfish every day. I am sure some of them are small blues. More in one week than the Springfield catfish club will remove in a lifetime. The use of hatchery fingerlings was looked into. According to Dan Stephens the State fisheryes biologist there were none available. Also you said they were removing them from your spot. On public waters there is no YOUR SPOT. it is whoever is fishing there that days spot. Get over it that is the way it is. If you build your own lake or buy one then you can have YOUR OWN SPOT. Public water i sjust that, PUBLIC WATER.

Now for what I disagree with. If they were transporting them with out proper care then I am agaisnt that. I have seen the fish hatchery deliver fish. The always use O2.

Look at it this way. If they create a new fisheries in springfield lake then they will quit fish in your spot , or there will be an additional place for you to fish for big blues. That next world record blue may come from lake springfield. The fisheries biologist claim they have shocked up flatheads in that lake that would break the state record. Why couldnt it produce the next big blue. JMHO