Where can i catch bullheads?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatCatcher, Mar 17, 2009.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I've never even seen a bullhead,let alone catched one. I've tried Pierson Park all last year with no luck.

The reason I really want one is to put in my Native aquarium with my channels and Sunfish.

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i always catch them in little creeks and streams when im out catching perch and sunfish. I just drive country roads and stop whenever i see a little creek.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Mike in your area i not sure,But i bet Keith or Shelby can help you out.

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I guess you really don't like the other fish in you tank do you??

As soon as you put a bullhead in there he will go and chase your other fish around and if there not to big for him he will eat them or atleast scare the crap out of them. also if you don't have filter that is very good then your tank will get really dirty.

Bullhead are a extremly dirty fish I had a couple that were around 2-3 inches that I caught and looked at them and said man those fish sure are neat maybe I'll put them in my tank at home with a channel that was ablut 6-8 inches long and a couple of pumpkin seed bluegills, and an Oscar that was about 11" or so that a pet store I was in looking at this fish and asked the owner how much he was and he said if I had a place for him I could have him.

So I was like cool that fish alone is worth about 100.00 or so. I put the bullhead in the tank along with about 2 dozen feeder goldfish the tank was 120 gallons. So I am just looking at the tank and saying man that bullhead looks cool I wander why he's not eating.

So I go to bed and about 2:00am or so I hear a very loud noise I am thinking someone's breaking in and I go check it out I find nothing however I still hear the noice so as I am walking around I spot it coming from the tank so I run over and turn on the light and it look like something from a horror flick every fish is either gone or dead all 24 goldfish gone and the oscar has a hole taken out of him and this oscar is about 8-10 times as big as this little bullhead. all the plants in the tanks are uprooted I never seen anything else like it.

Later on I just fixed the tank just for the bullhead and I feed him 24 goldfish 1-3" everyweek. Man that sure is fun to watch an other Gf of mine got it on film and if I can find her number I am going to see if I can get them tapes and post the video's on here.

MIke I do know where you can get bullheads, There is always turkey creek on stateline right past the crown royal liquor store. Maybe Keith can help you out in your neck of the woods it would be alot easier to show you in person.

Let me know if you need anything else I will try and not write a book next time:smile2:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Maybe thats why they are such good bait.They call all the flatheads in to fight with them while a hook is in their backs.:smile2:

Little pitbulls of the water..

6. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I have a buddy who owns a water shed who says he wants them cleaned out. I havent talked to him in awhile but if I do I will ask if I can bring some friends out to get some. So anyways if anyone is looking for some lmk because I might be able to get you some.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Shawn you need to keep some bullheads so when we go out we have some for the flatheads. Best bait for Flats if you ask me.

8. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like my kind of fish.I think it would be the perfect tank for my baby snapping turtle.He aint scared of nothing.
    So I should fish for them like I do panfish?

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Sometimes yes with a bobber and all other times fish for them like channel cats in a lake only smaller hooks/weight's and line. Use very small pieces of worm.

Maybe sometime if we meet on the river I'll just give you a couple if we have any left if you can't find any before then. Hopefully we don't have any left because that just means the bite was great.

10. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Mike, just be warned,lol there's not another fish out theres thats as bad about finning ya, and that will sting and fester, but as far as fishing for them, most the time, I catch'm on the bottom, and they're bad about swallowing the hook, to the point, hook removal is generally done by c-section!

11. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Cant wait to go and land some big flats. Just lmk and I will be there.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    For bullheads try using size 1 baitholder snells snapped into a snap swivel
    with a 1/2 oz. egg sinker on the line above it. Use spade dug garden worms
    as bait or half a nightcrawler, any doughbait for cats or one of my
    favorites is chicken liver. No need to go above the Zebco 33 on the rod
    it came with. If you like the kiddie packages in WalMart, that's about rite.
    You have wierd tastes, but appropriate tackle for bullheads. Traditionalists
    use a 12 ft cane poles. Trouble is, small channel cats will jump on from
    time to time if they are in the creek you are fishing. One way to avoid
    this is think really small. Find a creek that is less than eight feet across.
    Just a touch above the size of the standard ditch but with water running
    in it most of the time. Hopefully with trees on either bank?

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike, Ive still got your #. After a hard rain, there is a creek that is full of them. Shelby and I were trying to catch perch one day , and couldnt stop catching those darn bullheads. I wish they would have been bigger, then we could have eaten them all. :smile2: Most of them were 4-6 inches with a couple that were over 10 inches.

p.s. Thanks Gary :wink:

14. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i know wildcat creek runnin through fort riley and manhattan can get jam packed with those little guys, when i go fishin for perch in there, depending on the day, i catch a whole mess of em, and almost every one fins me at one point or another, i think they actually get a kick outta it! nothin gives me better joy than to skewer on on a hook and throw him in the republican. or every now and then if hes a decent size fry one up and eat him,,, i always get the last laugh with them. but to keep in an aquarium? my cousin had a pirhanna in an aquarium,,, bout 11 in. too, and thot he wanted a bullhead in there, guess which one died, and guess which one he ate in retaliation.