Where can I buy some epoxy

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by George walker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm looking to buy some epoxy so I can give my new transom a few coats. I looked at Menards and Wal-Mart and they didn't have a cule when I told them what I needed it for, can anyone lead me in the right direction.

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Try I hardware store. I really don't know what kind of epoxy you are looking for but I buy automotive type epoxy at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. Hope that helps.

3. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    Order online from a company called RAKA. Good product, Good Service, Good Customer support.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got mine at the local Marine, I would try there

5. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    RAKA is a good, "low blush" epoxy, but try "System Three," also. It may just be my technique, but I seem to get better results from the System Three. It penetrates and "wets out" cloth better than RAKA. IMO.

www.jamestowndistributors.com Definately NOT the only source, but it might give you a place to start....

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Marina or local hardware I would say.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great advice. I would stop by your trusted Marine and let them know what your using it for. They may even have something on hand that they will supply you cheap.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    System Three Is Definately A Good Product, You Can Get It @ westmarine.com. HTH, Elliot

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You can get the polyester resin at Walmart. It's pretty much the same thing as the epoxy. It's in the auto body repair section where the Bondo is. If you just want something to seal the wood, it should do the trick.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hey Grump, I Don't Know If I'm Speaking Out Of Turn Because I'm Surely Not A Fiberglass Man By Any Means But I Thought I Remembered My Buddy Who Is Tell Me That Even Resin (Fiberglass) Will Wick moisture In Time & That Only Epoxy Is Truly Waterproof ?:confused2:

Knock-Knock, Mark J.

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Aouto zone or Napa any parts store should have it

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    man there are tons of places to get epoxy. The big problem is the kind to get. Home Depot, target, walmart, hardware stores...on and on...

I have used epoxy for years on many different types of surfaces...the best one that i can relate is sealin a leaking radiator at a seam.

Go for the longest cure time..mix them evenly..you will not be let down

cyas
    rc

13. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Depending on the "longevity" you are looking for, polyester is suitable(?). I avoid polyester for boats (it's porus). (there are a lot of OLD polyester boats around, but the new epoxies are better) Since this sounds like a repair or recondition use the best and yes West Marine carries the best, System Three..........They also are very helpful if you don't have a lot of expertise with "epoxy."

It's possible your boat is polyester so do some research about compatiblity with the new epoxies.

www.gougeon.com has several articles and tutorials on the use of thier products.

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Homedepot or lowes would have something for sure!!!!