Where are you guys getting bait? I can't believe these regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by jbuck984, Jul 3, 2007.

1. jbuck984

jbuck984 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Cay you believe the regulations in this state? :confused2: How is it possible to fish for flats without spending big money at a bait shop? Or in my case without driving across the state for bluegill and then paying big money for them. I talked to the game and parks in this area (Norfolk)earlier today and now I'm basically thinking of packing my rv up and leaving the area. I'm a full time rv'er so it wouldn't matter much but I like it here in Nebraska because I was raised here and the low rates at parks. They told me I had to use bluegill from a liscened vendor, the vendor # they gave me does not sell bluegill anymore. I asked about using a castnet to get a replacement bait such as carp, drum, or bullhead. Thet said that is also illegal, castnet may only be used in waters listed in the regulation book and ONLY for shad within season, all other fish must be returned, even a carp or gar. How do you people catch blue cats in the spring? Shad season opens July 1st, I've never caught a decent number of blues off anything other than fresh cut shad. This all makes little to no sense to me, I could see not allowing castnets in reseviors but in a muddy river full of carp and other nongame fish, it won't hurt anything. There are no bass and realistically no one fishes these rivers for anything other than catfish anyway. If I don't find a place to get bluegill without breaking multiple laws I'm leaving tommorow, if I could, I would return the Nebraska liscence and get my money back too. :angry: I think as a catfishing community we should put our voice out to have these laws changed. We have great catting here and if we practice catch and release on trophies we will for years to come.

2. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    I agree it sounds stupid. Maybe you should just be real sneaky....:wink:

3. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    I WAS GETTING SOME REALLY NICE CREEK CHUBS AT LOCAL BAIT SHOP BUT IT WENT UNDER. CHUBS WERE 4 TO 6 INCHES AND RARELY CAUGHT ANYTHING LESS THAN 2 LBS. DIVORCE CAUSE OF CLOSING OF COURSE.I'M STARTING TO THINK THAT A TRUE CATMAN SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED? ANY OPINIONS?

4. jbuck984

jbuck984 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know that is what a lot of people do and I've never heard of anyone getting cited for it. That is not the point though. I fish because I enjoy it and I don't feel I should HAVE to break regulations to do it. Ask yourself this, if bass or walleye only ate live bluegill or med sized carp would it still be illegal to catch them in a castnet? I doubt it, the ngapc would loose to much money. Look how much money is spent through lake development and stocking programs for these fish. I also enjoy fishing for them but I find catfishing more challenging and thats why I usually catfish. If every person in Nebraska that enjoyed flathead fishing went to lakes and caught bluegill with rod and reel for bait would it affect the bluegill population? I highly doubt it, we buy liscences and pay fees too so that should be our rite anyway. We should be able to do it without looking over our shoulder.

5. jbuck984

jbuck984 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Should a true catman get married? Uh no, well it depends a trip to vegas in the fall and then divorce court in the spring should work out.LOL I had a friend that would bring the camera along and take pics throughout the night to show his wife, its worked they're sill married. I've only had luck catching cannels off chubs, biggest was 15lbs, a few years back I got into something that screamed down river unspooled all my line and broke it off taking all the line, that was on chub but it was only 30lb test. I've never caught a flathead off chubs though, not sure why?

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i catch my own bait always get flats on chubs the one in my avatar was caught on cut skipjack i dont worry about buying it

7. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i didnt read everybodies reply, but i live by fremont, and i go to the fremont state lakes, i catch my bluegill out there and take them to the river, and i actually had a game warden tell me he didnt give a damn, since i was taking them to the river, and using them for bait. i think they are more worried about restocking, taking them to another lake, like bass and catfish. but hell, baitfish wouldnt matter, the way i see it.

8. jbuck984

jbuck984 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Has anyone ever heard of anybody getting fined for taking bluegill to the river? I never have. I'm going to start doing it also, the way I see it even if I do someday get fined it will still be cheaper than buying bait.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Myself and TA2D have been catching our own bait since leaving the convenience of parental funded fishing outings. Nebraska (especially southeastern part) is full of creeks and ponds, just got to do a little work to get them. And when I mean "little" it really is.

Night Crawlers - Dig, or do what we do...wait till it rains and load up

Minnows - seine or trap. Small creeks are flourishing right now where we're from due to that massive dump of rain we had in May

Creek Chubs - find a decent hole in any creek and more then likely there's chubs, green sunfish, and bullheads. Ultra light tackle, small hooks, and a pinch of a night crawler. Easy pickens....also can use traps for smaller ones

Gills/Green Sunfish - Um, everywhere there's water.....as long as you catch it legally on line&hook you should be able to use them.. barring any specific lake/pond/reservoir regulations.

Bullheads - see Creek Chubs

Shad - Yes, can be difficult to acquire. Cast netting in Nebraska is extremely specific, yet I can to some degree understand their reasoning. With that being said July-November is free game on the river. Make a day of it. Recommend you immediately freeze Shad for later days on the river.

Skipjack - Well we've never tried them, but we know a lot of people on the Missouri that use them. They catch them off the wingdikes on really small jigs and grubs.

Now am I going to say that I've never used a cast net in the river in May and June....hell no! You see it all the time, and our game warden spends more time in the local pubs then actually patrolling. And if there's a small carp in the net well...yes guilty as charged. We just really really hate buying bait.

SudDawg

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    WOW! those are some hard-core regulations youins got there!

11. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Shane (SudDawg) you really hit the nail on the head, bait is so plentiful everywhere all you have to do is put a little effort into it. I can catch all the bait needed for a night of fishing in 1-2 hours and usually I throw some back into the river at the end of the night. I do recommend getting a cast net, they can be cumbersome to use, but if I can teach SudDawg to use one anyone can as long as you get one that you can handle. For most small creeks and ponds all you need to catch bait is a light/ultralight setup small hooks and some crawlers or a can of corn.

Aaron

TA2D

12. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    come on brother, let the deer grow before you kill them!

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

You see Jake, that deer in TA2D's avatar is a midget compared to the buck he got over ten+ years ago. Wish he had a picture of that beast.

And yes, thanks TA2D for bringing up the fact that I suck @$$ at throwing a cast net....it's got to be funny as hell to watch me doing it

Suds

14. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Sport fish
    can be used for bait: (1) if they have
    been legally acquired from a licensed
    aquaculturist or a nonresident fish
    dealer. The angler must keep a legible
    receipt or invoice from the dealer
    listing the date, seller’s name and
    address; and number and size of each
    species sold, or (2) if they are captured
    using hook and line and used at the
    body of water from which they were
    captured. In the latter case, the angler
    will be required to follow both the
    length and bag limits that are enforced
    on that body of water.

above is from the NE fishing guide and regulations.

you can catch gills to use for bait, as long as you A) use them in the same body of water you caught them on, B) the bluegill meets (if any) size and bag limits placed on the body of water you are fishing.

can get complicated if you bring previously prepared cut bait to a lake that has restrictions in place. The game warden can't prove that the fish did come from that lake, or was undersized, but neither can you prove that the fish didn't come from that lake. So just don't use cut bait in those bodies of water, but those lakes are much fewer now than in the past.

hope that helped some​

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Most lakes that have size limits on bluegills are public/city lakes like the ones in Omaha (Walnut Creek, Wehrspann, Zorinsky, etc.) Never been to a place that we used cut gills where there was a length limit on them.

SudDawg

16. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    i cant imagine anywhere having a length regulation on bluegill. i catch them at the fremont state lakes, and i caught them as small as 3 inches. smallest hook i can find, and one kernel of corn. sometimes just a bare hook.

17. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I know right! Never could understand that, I would figure that they would want to weed out the small ones to make room for the big ones swimming around. I'm sure they have their reasons....

Suddawg

18. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Dawg, Zorinsky and Werhspann no longer have the 8'' limit, so the gill there are free game

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
  20. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    thats some big bodied deer. thats a hell of a rack on the old one. nice g2's on it. i gotta get a pic of my buck my first year hunting. i hunted in kansas for my first deer season. will try to get the pic up.