Where are you guys at

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, May 24, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Am I the only one from Maryland on here anymore guys come on lets keep the catfishing going here now is only the spwan they will be back and the bite will pick up again very soon. This weekend on the Patuxent the tournament will see alot of channels they are fun to catch as well. The let the big blues win you over and for get what we fished for before they came onto the river. :lol:

2. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Tim,

I’m not sure what’s going on here on the board. I've had too much stuff going on, and it’s been a criminally late start for me for cats this year. I’ve had too much going on at work and at the house. My first two fishing trips of the year were out of Solomons for stripers: Pre-season in April (3-4 foot waves, 49 degree water, got skunked), and May 1st (one keeper 31 inch 12 pounder) with the Carolina Skiff.

We’ll be taking our first river trip of the year tonight. We’ll be using the flat back canoe, and we’ll be leaving out of Belle Haven. I’ve thawed out a big ‘ol herring that I picked up about a month ago at Annapolis Seafood, and I’ve got 4 tubs of livers in the fridge. We figured we’ll try Fox ferry and perhaps the spoils or some of the channel edges.

We’ll be targeting channels since the blues are spawning, but we won’t count out the possibility of a striper. We’ll see how we do.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    They are catching alot of stripers out there right now and some of the female blues maybe heading back into the waters as well. There are loads of eater size channels and blues around fox ferry and smoots bay. If you have liver then you will have a ball should be a one rod only day. Best of luck and let us know what you do.

4. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It was a grand evening on the river yesterday. As we were offloading the canoe at Belle Haven, we were serenaded by cardinals, wrens, red-wing blackbirds, and red belly woodpeckers. We knew it would be a good evening to spend on the river regardless of the outcome of the fishing. Knowing that the blues are still spawning, we specifically targeted channels.

We set up at Fox Ferry as the sun was setting, and never bothered moving. Tim called it in that it was arguably a one-rod-only day. We each started out fishing two rods, one with livers, and one with cut herring. The bite was there from the get go, and continued the entire evening. I missed my first three fish due to season opener buck fever, but my buddy boated his first. Early on, my buddy had a scrappy 15-inch channel on each rod. He boated and released both, then ditched the second rod. I fished my second rod the entire evening using large cut bait on a 6/0 circle for the off-chance at a big blue or a rockfish. Once I re-learned how to fish circles, it was steady catching on the livers for the next two and a half hours.

All in all, my buddy boated 13 to 15 channels ranging from 12 inches to 17 inches, and I boated about a dozen ranging up to about 19 inches. I could only muster a scrappy 14 inch mud cat on the cut bait rod which somehow managed to get its mouth around the large piece of herring. I didn’t expect much on the big game rod, as we were not fishing the channel edge. The mud cat did make for at least a two species evening; I'm not sure weather any of the slate colored other cats were juvee blues, as I didn't bother to count fin rays. The numerous bronze colored jobs were definitely channels. I’m chomping at the bit to get out again as soon as I can. I especially look forward to trying my hand at the channel edge with the big blues once they finish spawning sometime in June.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks for your report there are a few spots like that where you have a hrad time fishing two rods with liver or danny king bait. I fish them in the summer months with the kids i get out and they have a ball.

6. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon and evening with Bob R and will provide an update. We're hoping to land a couple stripers along with some channels.

7. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    I'll start posting again in Oct. I crab from June until Sept. , but I will defintely be back on the potomac from Oct through May.