Where are they

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by catboy210, Dec 12, 2006.

1. catboy210

catboy210 New Member

State:
    texas
    i went fishing a few days ago no fish the first day because there where NO shad i tryed every where2nd day like 10 shad 2 flatheads anyone know where they whent

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    This time of year in Texas, the short answer is deep. All of this will depend on which body of water you are trying to find them. On a lake, unless you find birds working, its is gonna be real hit and miss during the winter to find them shallow. Try and find small rivers, streams esp if they have a power plant, hot water source. Not necessarily to fish (maybe), but just to find bait. But even then, you just gotta get lucky esp. if you are trying to find them from the bank. In a boat with good sonar, you can find them. But in most cases, an extra long cord or extension on the cast net is needed. This weekend, in north Texas on two different lakes, the big balls of shad that I saw on sonar were from 20 - 40 foot deep.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    And if you're going to be trying to catch the shad down deep, you need a big, heavy cast net with a large mesh (1/2" or 5/8" or so) - small, light nets with 1/4 or 3/8" mesh sink too slowly and close up on the way down.

I just bought a 12' radius 5/8" mesh net with 1.5 lbs of lead per radius foot, and I don't expect to have any problems getting shad out of 20 or 30 ft of water.

Up here where we have a "real" winter, the shad get even harder to find -- water temp on the Missouri River the other day was 36 degrees but I still found shad in about 20 ft. Using sonar is about the only way to do it unless you want to wear yourself out throwing the net blind.