where are they biting?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rwg, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Went to fall river this weekend with the boat. I havent fished fall river in a few years, same old lake, caught one nice channel (5-6 lbs) a a few drum. used worms, sticky stuff, liver, green worms. went up the river as far as i could, lots of snags and trees in the river, but not many bites.
    so where the heck are the fish in the late summer early fall? in a typlical kansas lake hope most of you had better luck this weekend rwg :confused2:

2. jwk227

jwk227 New Member

State:
    Pittsburg,
    I caught a 10# channel friday night at a strip pit . First one over 5# all year, but it was right up on the bank, maybe 5 ft of water. Caught it on chicken liver.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    At Milford, I caught all mine in 17 - 23 foot of water yesterday. Caught 6 channels in 17 foot and 1 channel and 15 blues in 23 foot.

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Seems like they are in shadow (4' to 15') next and very close to deep water. Years past this time of year I could only find them in very deep water.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I caught a few yesterday on the Dragoon, there would not bite on anything but I did snag a few bullfrogs and all the channels I caught were on frogs. I tossed everything at them shad, perch, shrimp, carp, dip baits, bloodyou name it nothing.

6. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Seems to me they are out of the wind right now in the mouths of coves and up into the coves in about 10 to 15 feet of water. Find the batfish they like to eat and you will find the cats.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Their gonna be deep for now.. then come shallow after or between a nice summer rain.. by first of sept they'll return sallow again.

8. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    I have never done much good with Bullfrogs were they decent size frogs. I was catching bait yesterday and passed up a few bullfrogs. I have had great luck on leapord frogs.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    The fish I caught this weekend were in the river right next to where there was a shallow marsh, right where it dropped off to the river channel. Not really any bites on the flat but right next to it where it dropped off to about 10 or so feet of water. The rest of the river is about 15 or so feet deep.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I would say they were medium size frogs. Forgot to mention they were floated under a Katbobber.:big_smile:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Used to have good luck with those in Louisburg city lake. The channel loved em.

12. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have been thinking about this trip for 3 days. i think that the shad were so thick around my boat, i had gar and carp around also, that there was so mutch bait for them to choose from that they couldn't find my baits
    the one i got was stuffed with small shad. maybe they had to mutch to eat so i didn't get them :confused2:

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That's the conclusion I came to for the last three weeks. Where I fished Sunday had no visible shad and I did good. Before there were millions of them all around everywhere I went.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    got a 15 1/2 on the Kaw a cpl days ago. its still in the tank and fiesty as hell :smile2:. got a 3-4 lbr too but it went back, too skinny that one was. both flats. been to lazy to post pics :roll_eyes:

15. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    where are they biting? well im at home rightnow. so they are biting all over every lake in kansas (where i live). so if you get there quick, you might catch something. but i'll let you know when im on my way to the lake so you can go ahead and go home since the katz sleep when im around!!!

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i cought 6 this mourning 1 may have been under 10 the biggest around 30:cool2::cool2::cool2:eek:h it said were are they biting not if lol:tounge_out: I aint telling:tounge_out:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    dad wants to get out on sunday with the boat. he put me on the task of findin out where the cats are hittin. i cant seem to find my way to anywhere but the Kaw. y'all gotta help me. where do i send him ??

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Wish I could help, jj I don't fish the Kaw, someone on here will help, went out last saturday andkept 19 crappie and 8 channels 1 1/2 to 3 lbs, frying
    size.

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i fish the Kaw all the time. dad wants to get his boat out but not on the Kaw due to it bein so low.

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    We really had no issues on the Kaw Sunday. We just kept it slow and watched the water and the fish finder. You could always run up to Tuttle and fish the River Pond and the Blue.