Where are the woodworkers

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Graywolf, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Where have all the woodworkers gone, long time passing????
    Everyone must be fishing or something?
    I got in my shop a couple of times in the last week or so, nothing major but was nice to get there.

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Its that time of year to do all that stuff around the house...
    planting the garden, painting the house, replacing windows........!

THE HONEY DOS!!!

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    We aint gone no where, I just been busy, trying to get my GED, Getting the garden ready for planting, Yard Work, and a lot of other work. I hope to start on some woodworking projects soon as I find a job.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Gary, through the winter I had to run out in the shop and throw a handful of sawdust in my face ever so often so I could make it until it warmed back up.LOL I hope to get out there and fool around a little before long.

5. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Jim, I thought I was the only one that did that. LOL :big_smile:

I know how it goes when it gets nice out. I have been messing in the yard and garden also. It's getting nice and June is talking about painting. Ah, yes. Spring.

6. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Years ago I did some woodworking, it was one of my hobbies, but I never seemed to have enough equipment. Kind of like fishing I guess...never have enough tackle. After I built my 40 x 60 garage I had to make a decision which hobbie I wanted to pursue, I elected to work with metal. I still have a table saw and my radial arm saw is set up along one wall. But
    the rest of the area has my other equipment, two lathes, a milling machine, mig, stick welder, and mics fabrication tools. I still make walking sticks that I sell on consignment.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I had to lay off of the shop, due to electric bills!!!!!

$450.00 a month...... ouch!!!

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Busy with the spring fishing and work during the week but still here spittin sawdust.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never was much of a woodworker but I've always like to "tinker" with wood.

My first project was "our" project when wife and I built a cedar plank fence around our backyard in 1958. Funny, I didn't even know enough to stager the planks!:embarassed: All I had was a claw hammer, hand saw, a square and a hand post hole digger. Materials were about $160., sure was a lot back then.
    But some of that fence is still there today, only the cedar post have been replaced with steel.

My next project was to build a cover over our patio slab on our next house in 1966. That one had to be built to city code. About 20 years later I enclosed it with solid windows, didn't get a city permit that time.

About 1976 I built a 20 x 30 2 car garage in the back alley. I built the forms and hired a couple Mexicans to pore the slab but I did everything else including electrical and plumbing. Finished it out as good as a house, including the 16 foot wood door and garage door opener, the cost was just under $2500. Then purchased a Craftsman table saw and redone our kitchen and bathrooms cabinets.

When our present home was completed we didn't let the contractor do anything to the lower lever except the outside of the outside walls. Wife and I completed the lower level.. including electrical and plumbing. We hired the sheet rock installed/finished, also heat/air.

Sorry, this is so long, I kind of got carried away.

Attached Files:

10. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Olefin, great projects.

11. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    After buying my boat the fishing season lengthened considerable. But I'm still butchering on occasion.

Wooly

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I used to do quite a bit years ago and still take on a project once in a while, it 's good fun.

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've been hiding out doing some carving and trying to stay out of the cold until the river opens up again.

Heres a little sample.

Attached Files:

14. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I do not know if I consider myself a woodworker, I just like to make things. I also have a MIG welder and a metal scroller, fun to work with. I just need to learn not to weld or weedeat with shorts on.

Attached Files:

15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    A shelf and mirrow I put together before I sold all my wood working tools.

Attached Files:

16. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very nice Hoot..................

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Chuck, that is some fine looking projects you have there. I wish I knew more about metal working. What little I have done was a lot of fun.

Hoot, that is some beautiful wood working there buddy. Don't you wish you had your tools back?:big_smile:

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks Jim
    No I don't lol, people was always wanting me to build something for them a certain way. I like to build things right and when I want to.
    Here is a scroll saw project.

Attached Files:

19. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I have the tools and know how to use them. It's the cost of wood that stops me from doing woodworking any more. Then again we have run out of space to put anything if I were to build something.

Jesse

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hoot, that is beautiful buddy. I wish I could do that kind of work with the scrollsaw.

Jesse, there is a place near Pocahontas TN called Hatchie Lumber that you can buy lumber at a really good price, if you should ever need any.