Where are the Tar flatheads?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CatSlayer715, Sep 14, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Ive never caught a flathead on the tar yet. Only nice size channels. What are you some of the spots yall go? best time or day/night? I heard that yankee hall was a good place for flatheads. Yall got any ideas? (im in greenville)

2. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    According to NC Wildlife Research 56 percent of the catfish population in the Tar River are Flatheads... So there in there at a purdy good number... Not that many people fish the tar like other rivers so there is probably lack of info.... Most of ur best fishin intell is goin to have to come to you by the old school way... Fish Fish and Ooo Fish some more.... Scout, Study, Time on the water... You'll find em sooner or later... Flatheads dont really like alot of current... Seem to catch more on lack tide or when the river isnt moving much at all..
    Live Bluegills is your best bet. Live Eels 2nd. Outside bends in the river, Creek mouths, any kinda eddies in the river, fallen trees that run out in the river.... Heavy structure, Especially wood... Sand bars, Deep holes or maybe just a area inbetween feeding areas....
    Night time is best for flatheads hands down..

3. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Well Erik, any time you would like to go, let me know and im there. I know they're out there, i just can't seem to find them. Hopefully i can find some bign's in there. Whos caught a 30lb+ flat head in there?? anybody?? im just wondering what size they are that are in there. They can't be as big as the neuse cats.

4. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Sounds like a plan David.. Yea they can be hard to find sometimes.. I think the bite has been off for the most part everywhere.. When the fall bite kicks up you should be able to get on em purdy good.. I dont think anybody has caught a 30 plus outta there yet... If they had I havent heard about it or seen it.. NC Wildlife Research says the population of flatties in the tar in 2006 was 14 percent... So to go up to 56 percent in 3 years is purdy high spike in fish numbers.... I'd say there are a few big ones in there from the foundation stock but seems like they really just got a population hold in there so high numbers of small fish... In some years there will be a good amount of big fish but right now you'd be luck to catch a big one in there...

5. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    wow.......erik..............you really got your numbers together...........whats the statistics on the big cape?:wink:

6. Joe321

Joe321 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    cant be that great kevin, i belive yall might have done caught them....:eek:oooh:

7. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: trust me joe......theyre still there...........weathers getting right!........cant wait to see what happens in the tourney down at the cowpens this weekend............allota good fisherman going to be in it!..........i believe we might get some good pics posted next week!:wink:

8. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    *&$#, i want to fish in that tourney but i dont have anyone to fish with in it, and i want to fish with someone who knows the area... oh well.. i guess there will be more to come i hope.:confused2:

9. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
  10. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Good find !! Cool info Will...

11. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    anybody fish the tar upstream. on my last trip to kerr lake, i saw that it crossed rt 85 north of durham. was wondering if anyone had fished it in this area. thanks.

12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Both flatheads in my avatar came from the Tar, 4-5 yrs ago. The biggun was 34lb 9 oz. They been that big since the 80s. Spring Hope area.

13. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Anybody caught any recently?? I know the Tar isn't a "popular" flathead fishery but obviously they are in there. I went early the other morning, but didnt catch a single thing other than a 3/4 lb bream! that thing was a beast. I plan on going to either the neuse or the Tar this coming weekend. Who's had luck out there??

14. BIGFLAT

BIGFLAT Member

State:
    Broadway NC
    dont know about the tar river but they are picking up on the cape fear