Where are the shad?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by MerriamMarauder, Dec 5, 2009.

1. MerriamMarauder

MerriamMarauder New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have fished in a couple of different parts of the country, and was always able to use a seine or cast net for catfish bait. I have been in KC for 15 years, but just got a boat and want to fish the KAW for catfish. I have tried my cast net a couple of times with no luck. I have always been lucky and found them where I need them in the past. Does anyone have advice as to where to look. I plan on fishing the KAW near Edwardsville, KS.

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    welcome Jake to the BOC. i'm not from there but when we can't catch them here we go out at night with a crappie light and they will scool around it then you can get all you want. just can't keep them alive for long. hope this helped.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Well the shad I found were in 28 -32ft of water today. When it warmed up if you call today warm,(broke ice off my eyelets all morning) they ended up to about 22ft. Hope this helps. Welcome to BOC.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Some advice for Kaw bait, use what you can get, often you won't find shad. Carp, drum, goldeye, gar, etc all make a fine cut bait. Shad have been scarce the last few years. Try creek mouths, and anywhere water flows into the river. The norm for much of the year is to throw a 6-8 foot net 20 or more times and feel lucky if you have a couple of shad..

That's the bad news, the good news is that we saw more shad on the river last month than we had seen in in quite a while. Hopefully a few of them will hang around into the spring.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jake Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

6. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Jake.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jake. Some good advice from GaryF. He's been teaching me!!

8. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That is very true. Gary always seems to have some of the most useful posts when it comes to fishing advice, and just about everything else. Heck of a nice guy too...gave me a headlamp at the Milford gathering. Thanks again, Gary. Oh yeah, welcome to the BOC Jake.:cool2:

9. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to BOC i fish the kaw a lot and if you need a fishing buddy lut me know.:cool2:

10. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Jake! Gary has given you a great answer. The only thing I can think of is try any hot water outlet or generator area. I know down at La Cygne, you can net shad there during the winter time. Good luck!

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the B.O.C., and good luck with the shad.