Where are the shad?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry it has been awhile since I have been on this sight and this topic has probably already been covered...but is it just me or is the shad population almost extinct this year on the Des Moines river?

I have never seen so few shad ever on this river around the Des Moines area. Usually this time of year you don't have to search for them you just through out anywhere and you will come up with some. Whats going on?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    We are just now starting to see them in good numbers, They aren't huge yet. I think last years floods had something to do with the late bloomers.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Thats good to hear...where at?

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I hear that the DNR drained Lake Wapello AGAIN becuse there were so many gizzard shad in there.

5. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I got 3 dozen today all where huge biggest were 7 inches. Also got my 2nd flatty got it in the net but i got it.... LOL

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    DES MOINES RIVER/RACOON RIVER..............near DES MOINES.

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Not going to give out my spots for shad because they have been harder to come by this year, but it is definitely a late bloom in shad this year.

Do some online research about shad habitats and put it with places you fish/water locations you know of and you will find shad.

8. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Not going to give out your spots ??????? WTF the tournament is over.....

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I went out yesterday evening for a bit and I found out that drum love shad:confused2: didn't know that but I caught 2 drum over 10 lbs the biggest was probably around 15 or so on my new rod:big_smile:. rod and reel works great but no catfish. . . . . . . . YET

10. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    In SE part of the state, Mississippi, Iowa & Cedar rivers there are hardly any. Has been that way all year. We always see dead shad on the ice and along the banks in the spring but not this year. Hoping a hatch comes pretty soon around here.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just have to buy a castnet and find out the hard way if ya don't spot em in the jumps.:wink:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shad here is starting to run but they aint as abundant as yrs befor...I think Steve be right the flood did it....everytime we have a magioir flood we get dinged!

13. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Trust me I have bought plenty of throw nets in the last couple of years...I know wher they are usually at I have just noticed the numbers are way down. I have been getting most of mine out of lake south of DM. They are running about 6 to 9 inches. Didn't think the day would ever come where I could get more shad out of a lake than I could out of the 5 mile stretch of river that i run with my boat. Hopefully it picks up. Good thing the bullhead are still plentiful.

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I'm sure that had something to due with it but also people been netting hard for a month now. they haven't even given em really the time to grow and get abundant. we can get em but they're farther out from the bridge so I'll have to get a long rope when I go and get my net tomorrow if I can find one that is.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Since they just started here you should be getting them in no time... the best time to net is mid-September anyway. By then we will be infested

16. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i thought they disappeared up here on the mississippi and then jsut recently have shown up by the gazillions.

17. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Same here in Davenport .... They still haven't grouped up real tight like normal in this spot (You know where you catch about 10 pounds in each throw) but they are all real nice size and I get 2-4 every throw now that I know where they hang out. I've been catching them consistently since late July ... Lately I just go there at sunset throw the net 4 or 5 times and I'm set for the night. It's weird because usually they start out too small and easy to strip but by mid august they are big enough to cut nice fillets, this year they started out pretty good sized and are meatier

I did notice a couple of weeks ago a lot of big ones were killed but I think they just died of old age (they only live 3 or 4 years) instead of dying over the winter or because of low water/low oxygen in the summer. I sure didn't have any problem finding plenty of survivors later when I cast a net so it wasn't anything bothering the younger ones

It's been a weird year, cool and a lot of hard rains every 2-3 weeks .... I had planned on fishing/camping below Coralville Dam this week and I'm sure glad I canceled ... I went up there a year ago this week for two nights and got over 50 pounds of fish both nights on sunfish, crawdads and shad all of which I caught myself .. I wanted to go up for 3 nights this time and maybe I'll still get too .... next week is definitely going to be no good either with the reservoir 10 feet over normal and the gates wide open ... Well at least the Mississippi isn't going to be anywhere close to flood stage although she'll be muddy

18. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Dave & john, or anyone else,
    What-where are your particulars for finding your shad? What are you looking for?
    thanks,
    Larry

19. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Larry to be honest Im not sure where to find them on the Skunk if thats what you are wanting to know. If you are fishing the Miss. then just target boat docks this time of year. Or shallow sandy areas next to the bank. Most all boat docks hold shad right now. Some better than others. You will pick up a few mooneye here and there also. At least we do in pool 19. One way i find spots is pull up to a area that just looks good for shad and just keep your eye on the top of the water. If you see a flicker or a splash in the water. 90% of the time its a school of shad. All I do is pull up to a spot and bang my anchor to the side of the boat. If the shad are there they will jump. If I dont see any movement I try a different spot.

20. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Thanks Calvin, just the kind of info i'm looking for.
    I don't think I will be doing much on the ol Skunk for a while, she went from 2' yesterday to over 19' today! there goes what's left of my corn in the bottoms! Why can't we just get a nice easy rain anymore?
    Are you getting shad with some size yet?
    Thanks again,
    larry