Where are the shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I bought a cast net last fall and have been trying to catch some fresh Shad but can't seem to find them. Can anyone give me a clue where they are right now? Deep water?
    I can't get up the nerve to try to throw it from the Kayak so I am bank bound.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah I would say they are still farther out as the water warms they will move closer to the bank as the water closer to the bank is warmer also the plankton like the warmer waters.IMO

They are there I just think it is still a little early for finding them shallow

also just seen on the weather channel we might get some snow on sunday:sad2:

So if that happens might push it back a little longer.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Have MR. KAYAK(Casey):wink: show you how it's done:roll_eyes::smile2:.

They're pretty scarce around here too Alan. But they are biting on the frozen stuff.:smile2:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I'm not sure if thats a compliment or an insult?:smile2: Anyway wish I knew how to throw a net. If you had a little net would it be possible to throw sitting down?

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Alan,perry spillway in the slack water at the end of the walls.they are letting out at least 2000.its best to get there as early as possible to get em before they get broke up by others.
    ive heard from a few people that the shad under the 92 bridge are slim to none now.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey, it was a facetious remark with no malice intended:smile2:, but well intentioned:wink::smile2:. I believe a 3.5' net could be pitched fairly easy, not sure how stable a yak is, how would it compare to a canoe?

We have us a mini git together here soon, hope we do, we can share our methods of pitching, NO, I'm not getting in a yak to show you either:smile2:

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ahhh come on Jim! I wanna watch you pitch a cast net out of a canoe. Of course I would need to get a video camera first! LOL :smile2::eek:oooh:

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

We will see.:smile2::wink:

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I was getting ready to edit Jims post via the qoute and change it to I will get in a yak and show you Casey:wink::smile2: lol

But you kinda beat me to it:tounge_out::roll_eyes:

Sounds like a youtube moment to me:cool2:

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Maybe we should start a poll to see if the masses think Jim should teach us to throw a net from a kayak/canoe.:wink::roll_eyes::smile2:

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I think Jim might have more of a problem with the poll the throwing a net from a Yak:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

Lol

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

shad arent very nettable till it warms up alot water wise

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dont tell that to the 200 i have in my frezzer:smile2:

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Are we getting ready for a Mini at Milford????:tounge_out::tounge_out:I'm ready..

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Thanks to Long John Silvers they are extinct.

16. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    ive been fishing tuttle all week catching nice eater cats and yesterday i seen some shad braking surface near shore

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I have faith in you Alan,sounds like they are in spillways.Go to Clinton and anchor in spillway stand on one leg and throw.You might be able to charge admission and make royalties from the videos.

18. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well between me and BBD we have almost 150 alive in our tanks right now, we have caught them the last two weeks from the shore... there there u just have to find em...

19. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka

How are you keeping them alive??????????????

20. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thanks for all the input guys. I had thought about trying the spillway but was a kind of afraid of hanging the net up. Guess I will give it a try and pull like heck as soon as it hits the water. I will let you know how it works.

I think I could trow a 3.5' net from the Yak just don't think Iwant to try my 5' in this weather...:eek:oooh:
    I bet everyone would pitch in BEER money if you would show me how...:roll_eyes: I know he is tempted to try now....:smile2: