where are the shad this year??

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Johnny B, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I've been catching shad with a cast net for the last four years in the illinois river and the fox river(I live at the joining of these two rivers). This year I have had no luck at catching any shad anywhere in either river this year. We have had two big floods in the spring but does that matter? I have been driving 30 miles just to get bait this year and I don't get it. I would appreciate the help!!!

2. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    just the regular 3 to 4 inch shad I think they are gizzard shad

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    have you ever tried the marinas?? here in the maumee river in toledo oh the shad show up in pretty good numbers in the marinas just off the river. the ones that get the most wind toward them is best. hope this helps, shane

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes, I've actually tried two marinas where the water is calm and still nothing...I don't get it... I used to go to my buddy's that lives right on the river and throw a cast net just once and get plenty for the whole night. You could also see them in numbers skipping thinking that it were raindrops...Now if you get bait from another pond like shad is it illegal if the shad are dead or if they are used as cut bait?

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    is there any dams on your river thats close enough?? they should definately produce!! you may have to wade a little to get to them. by the way wecome to the boc! shane

6. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    i appreciate the tips...I will go down to the wingdam and give it a shot. Thanks again

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    No, it's legal just as long as you abide by the restrictions on the body of water you are fishing in. For instance, you can't take 30 bluegill that are 4'' long out of a creek behind your house and then use them as bait on a lake that has a 25 fish 6'' limit on bluegill.
    I've had no trouble catching shad around here in any of the lakes or rivers that I fish. :confused2: GOOD LUCK ANYWAY! :0a25: Welcome to the B.O.C.!

8. wozzie1

wozzie1 New Member

State:
    IL
    try the fox river if ur near, big ol gold roaches

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would try at night around some lights.I can't seem to catch to many in the day time.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Funny you should ask. I have been having a hard time finding them too. I usually fish small creeks with rod and reel and net in our lakes. But, I took my net to the creek and caught a BUNCH of big shad. I tried it in another creek and the same thing. They're all up in creek channels for some reason. Maybe it's because the water has been up for so long......

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Now thats the reply im looking for..thanks

12. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yes,that's what I'm looking for also!:wink: Ron

13. matlock

matlock New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is straight from dnr to stop the spread of VHS.:eek:oooh:
    Use of wild-trapped fishes from within the state as bait will be restricted to the waters where legally captured.:sad2:
    http://www.dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2008/July/vhsvirus.html