Where are the shad this time of year on James River?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfishqueen, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Catfishqueen

Catfishqueen New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    I am heading down to the James for a long weekend of fishing. Does anyone know where the shad are this time of year in the James? How deep are they in the water column? Where are they? (flats, holes, etc.) How hard are they to catch this time of year? I use a gill net.

Thanks in advance! :big_smile:
    Catfishqueen

2. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I think they go deep this time of year,I was at deep bottom a month ago and they were from 14 to 25 foot of water.The guide I know down there ussually uses a gill net to but when they start going deep you are better off useing a throw net.I could be wrong but that is where I found mine.

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    You can get them with a gillnet all year. What ramp are you going out of?

4. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The flats at the entrance to the bardge pits in the old river channel. You should find some there early in the morning. Aka...grubbs. Good Luck hope you catch a big un.

5. Catfishqueen

Catfishqueen New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    I am going out of deep bottom.

Thanks!

6. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Head down river (to the left) out of the ramp about 1/4 mile. There will be a cut into an impoundment off of the river (don't go in there, it's just a landmark). Set your net on the flat to the right just off the channel.

If that doesn't work, hit the entrance to the barge pits like rapp-catter suggested. Theat's up river, just above the 295 bridge, turn left into the creek. Just past the boat house on the left it will open up into a big flat. You'll find bait there.

7. egomaniac247

egomaniac247 New Member

State:
    VA
    I launched from Deep Bottom last Thursday and if you're standing on the dock facing the river and look right, the shad were busting the surface like crazy over there.

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yes they were. Someday I'm gonna set a net there to see what turns up.:confused2: