Where are the Shad hiding at in Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by NoCat2Big, Mar 6, 2006.

1. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    I must have thrown my cast next a thousand times over the past couple of weeks on LOZ and Truman and all I'm ending up with is a few gills and some crappie.

Some of the other folks I run into while fishing have had to go clear to montrose to get any.

Most of the spots I catch them this time of year are coming up dry.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Did you try the harbor at Warsaw?

3. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i throwed at the harbor for 2 hours the other day didnt catch a thing. went to a pond and throwed 5 times and had over 30 big shad

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's not really close to Warsaw, but I usually go to the city pond in Windsor for my shad (Dad lives in Windsor and I always have to go through there to pick him up)

The shad are so thick in the summer that you can almost walk across the pond. Don't know what they're like this time of year, though - we put about 12 bags of them in the freezer last October and have been working through them since then.

The pond is in the city park - when you come into town from the east on Hwy 52, turn left on County Line Rd. (at the bowling alley) and go another mile or so and you'll run right into it on your left. It's called "Farrington Park" and the pond is managed by the MDC. Or you can go to the 4-way stop in the middle of town and go south for 5 or 6 blocks - the road curves to your left but you'll eventually end up in the park.

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    It matters what time of day your going after the shad. In the mornings they seem to be stacking up on the river channel edges. Very easy to get with a large fast sinking net. As the day goes on they move shallow and are more scatterd along the shallow mud flats here on LOZ. I threw my net twice yesterday and had all I needed. Good sonar earns it price when the shad are tough to find. As for Drake harbor if there is any current there are shad in there. If the dam isn't releasing water the shad move out to the channel edges from the mouth of Drake up to about the bathrooms. If you have a boat and the right net you can get shad in or near Drake Harbor most days.

I understand your frustration, before I got my Lowrance X97 and X15 I used the old standby windblown bank and gulls or cumarans. Now I have learned to use a combination of my Lowrance and my Hummingbird 3d to locate them. My hummingbird shows shad schools as mountains or peaks rising up from the bottom not as fish. Sometimes the Lowrance misses them completely or shows them as a ball or part of the bottom. Using a combination of the two I can usually find them. Boat control is kind of tough when I'm by myself but if my son-n-law is along he tosses the net and I keep him over the shad. Another dead give away on your sonar is when the bottom readout is say 25ft but on the unit itself the bottom goes up to around 10 to 15 ft. Thats a dead give away that the false bottom is shad. Do not expect large schools of shad to show up as fish! The larger the school the less likely they are to appear as fish on your sonar. Jeff Williams taught me that and experience with my sonar has taught me a lot as well. See ya on the water!

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thats some excellent usable information Ron, Thanks!.:)

7. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I met Jeff Williams one day last November when I was fishing with Steve Brown. We had just gotten new Lowrance GPS fishfinders before we went to Mo (I'm from near Iowa City, IA). The first thing Steve did was adjust our fish finders' sensitivity. After we went out that day and came back to his lodge, Steve asked, "Did you see any bait clouds?". I hooted, "That's what those were!". On my color display, the shad would show up as big yellow balls or, as described earlier, a mountain rising from the bottom.

This completely changed my outlook on "shad getting". All winter long I've been anxiously awaiting a chance to try and locate shad in our local Coralville Reservoir. We struggle every spring with locating shad in time for a couple of tournaments that are held up here in the spring. Well, yesterday, I went out with my wife to do some scouting. Sure enough after some tooling around, I saw some bait. At first, I was getting only a few per netfull. Later, I checked across the lake and saw the mother of all bait clouds. I made a crappy throw (the net didn't even open all the way) and pulled in a big netfull! After that, I just kept looking for more bait and discovered a pattern that the shad were following that day. I found several more bait clouds and threw the net just enought to confirm that there were, indeed, shad there. After that, I didn't throw any more but just kept finding more bait. My next order of business is to get a bigger net. If I'm getting 5 or 6 shad with a 6 footer, I might as well be getting 2 dozen with a 12 footer.

Mike.

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Get a big net and get two hundred on a good throw. I don't have color sonar but I've seen Jeff's and its even more obvious with them. I have an 8ft diameter and a 20ft diameter net with 1/2 mesh that sinks fast and works well in deep water. I have even figured out how to throw it without giving myself a heart attack. I can't stress enough to anyone how important a good sonar unit is. Its worth the extra bucks you spend on it. Yes it has a learning curve but after a while you'll recognize a lot more than bait location. Fish habitat is repeated over and over and the same areas hold fish over and over.
    Once you can consistantly get good bait and find the current breaks your well on your way to making catfishing look easy. See ya on the water.

9. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have a lowrance/gps that I use on the missi and I never see balls of shad. Now, sensitivity is a bit tough on the river due to floating leaves, dirt, etc. I did not think of rising bottom peaks! Even when I am getting shad, my sonar seldom registers shad. I was throwing a 6 or 8 foot net and just bought a 16' dia for deeper water. It is still 3/8ths square, but I hope to do better with your help! I usually go shallow and look for the fish hitting the surface. Thanks again for helpful tips. Hannibal Mike

10. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bigmagic...

How DO you throw that big net without having a heart attack?

11. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I used a method where I roll the rope and the net up, split the net in halves and then lift a line or two of the net of into my right hand I then spin the net out of my hands crossing my right hand over my left. It sounds complicated but I have a video I could send ya on how to do it.
    I am going to shoot some video over the next couple of weeks on getting shad. I'll either post it or show it at the gathering. I'll include examples of shad on sonar and attempt to explain some theorys and tips about finding shad. I don't promise Bill Dance but I'll try to make sense. See ya on the water!

12. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I watched the video by the auzzie. Is the the method?

13. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    BigMagic

Your 20' diameter would be what dealers call a 10 ft net, right? And 1/2" mesh?

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Yes the Aussie and a 10ft Radius net. Expensive but once again worth it.

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Ron, no guarantee of Bill Dance, does that mean no bloopers?

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hi Guys, I just got a new Lowrance depth finder and haven't had a chance to use it yet and I have a question. When you see shad on the graph where do you throw? It has a duel frequency transducer, 35 degree and 12 degree, I know it only covers so much area and the area gets bigger the deeper the water gets. What I don't understand is where exactly are the targets in relation to the boat.
    Thanks in advance
    ST

17. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    SeedTick that's a darn good question and I'm not sure I know the answer.

I'm assuming that if you see the bait cloud under your transducer which is more than likely on the stern, you should throw off the back. However, I'm not sure how much the bait will scatter from the motor passing over them. I had my wife driving the boat and she's not experienced enough to stop the boat on a cast. Therefore, out of necessity, I was casting off the front of the boat and drifting over my net drop in neutral. This is actually throwing blind though since I dont' really know what's under the front of the boat. I've considered using my trolling motor to more closely control my speed and direction and also to be quieter.

BigMagic, we need your experience and expertise to guide us!!!

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I will be able to respond soon. I'm working on another matter. I owe someone an apology.

19. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There's nothing like the sound of the big motor going over to scatter shallow shad or send them deep. Trolling motor will always be a better option. Keep in mind there is a delay between your transducer "seeing" the shad ball and displaying it. It may only be a second, but if you are idling along at 4 mph, that's 21120 feet per hour,divided by 60 = 352 feet per minute. That is approximately 6 feet per second. In other words, by the time you see the shad on your depthfinder, they would be 6 feet behind your transducer angle which initially identified them. If you have a 12 degree cone, assumed to be straight down, shad 10 feet down would be a maximum of 1.5 feet in front of the cone center. That means, at 10 feet down, they are 4.5 feet behind your transducer when you see them. 1 second later, they are 10 feet behind your transducer. If it is located 2 feet in front of your transom, they are 8 feet behind your boat 1 second after you saw them on your screen. The best option is to slow down and reduce the travel distance from sighting to net throw. At the same time, the reduced noise of a trolling motor is less likely to cause them to dive or scatter sideways.

20. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Usually shad congregate in the same areas so there will be more than one school in the area. Sometimes however they will stack on a channel edge in one gigantic school. I haven't found them to be near as spooky in this situation. If you are into multiple balls of shad or one large group they tend to not be as skidish as a single smaller school or a scattered school. There are a lot of factors that influence this condition just be aware of it when looking for shad. Small schools scare easy, large ones not as easy. There is Safetybass in numbers.lol