Where are the flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    If anybody can help me find an area of the Ohio River from the Henderson Boat ramp or a little south to Newburgh Dam or even the Green River that are producing Flathead catfish pretty regurally I would really appreciate some information on the area. I am catching flatheads but not like I would like to. I know there is area around here somewhere that is holding them but this is my first year fishing back here since I got out of the service. You dont have to give me a fishing hole but just around about area. If you would like send me a private message. I fish by myself 90% of the time.

2. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

perhaps if no ones willing to giveup their spot, if you describe the river sections to us, the board memebers might be able to help you analyze it for potential better spots... alot of rivers just plain dont have that high of populations to begin with. add to that your starting a search towards the end of the season . that could also be the problem

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jason, sure wished I knew where, Ive been trying to catch one ever since I moved to Henderson. Heard of a few descent size flatties caught below the Newburgh dam earlier this summer but that it.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    jason if you get tired of fishin by your self send me a pm and mabey we could give the big boys a try.. been stuck on bass fishing all my life so i just started getting into catfishing this year so i dont have many good spots but i dont mind trying!:wink:

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Jason, I don't know if I can be much help because I'm not familiar with your area, but you might try to find log jams or other types of heavy cover to fish around. This time of year with hot temps deeper holes are good to try. Any creeks that empty into the river or lake can be good spots because the current coming out the creek will often times eat a deep hole at the mouth where flatheads like to hang out.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well you must be doing something right because you said you are catching flatheads but not want you like. Patience!! People fish for lifetimes before hooking into a monster. Im still waiting but is not what motivates me to fish.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that would be very interesting,been done before on here with good input.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jason,i took a look at the ohio at evansville. i see a few islands what is the structure and cover like around those? also see the green river confluence,that would be a great place to explore. the smaller creeks can be real jems also. are there any other backwater type places along your streatch( i didnt zoom in very close )? the flats will act like the preditor it is at night, crusing the shallows rousting out prey.