Where are the flathead catfish in Alabama

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by BrokenArrow, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    New to the site.

Where is the best place in North AL to catch flatheads? Thanks in advance.
    I've been fishing between Ditto n Decater catching blues. I'm interested in
    flats.
    BrokenArrow

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Hey Ronnie,

Glad to see you here. I am also relatively new to the immediate area. I grew up fishing Pickwick. Moved here 1.5 years ago. More flatheads there, at least from what I've seen.

As I said in the email last night, I've had very little luck with the flats also. I've fished pretty much every good looking place from G. Dam down to the bluffs at Redstone. Only caught 2, both small, on bluegill. Both were from the base of the bluffs. Plenty of blues, which seem to run a little bigger here than on Pickwick. Consistantly catch 10+ pound fish. Lost a 30+ at the boat last fall. I'm just now targeting larger fish, so I'll break the 50+ barrier soon, I hope.

Do you fish at night? I don't that much but it may be the ticket, according to the majority of folks here. They all seem to fish at night. Also the consensus is that they like a little slower current than blues. Might need to try places like the stretches up the Flint and Paint Rock near their mouths. I know they both are full of trees and a little slower current.

Got to get to work, lets try it soon.

Scott

3. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    any flats in south alabama?

4. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    i know there are flats down here but havent caught any lately. thy usually can be found in th bends of small creeks and rivers.

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    bama cat are u catching anything?

6. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    wnt last night but didnt do anything, they were biting but just couldnt get them to mak any good runs.gonna try them again next weekend and see if i can do anything with them. What are you using for bait? i am using Danny King Punch Bait right now, they hav ben taring it up in the creeks and rivers here. if you ver get down this way let me know maybe we can hook up and do some fishing.

7. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    bama cats, we will have to meet up some day. I live in andalusia, however i drive to your town every day to work at hicks.

8. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey dan if you work at hicks and come form andalusia then you drive right by my house. i live about a mile and a half south of the county lake. So i dont have far to go if i want to go fishing :big_smile: i used to have a buddy that worked at hicks, thats where i got all my fishing gear at. drop by sometime and we will swap fish stories after you get off work. that is of you dont mind two screaming kids running around :big_smile: :big_smile:

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry all,

I've been out of pocket for a while. The flathead fishing in the Alabama river from Wetumka south past Selma is outstanding. I have been targeting blues mostly, just because of my wife's preference. I'd like to fish with any of you if your ever near Prattville or Montgomery. Give me a PM. I a boat and all the equipment so just come on down.

10. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey david if i can get a chance adn break away i will take you up on the oppurtinuity to go fishing. havent been fishing around Wetumpka in a long time. You gonna have to show me all them honey holes you got up there. :lol: :lol:

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Haven't fished the Alabama long enough to develop any honey holes. Guess we'll have to locate some and make our own. I've been fishing 90% at Lay Lake slaughtering the blues.

12. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Live bream is great bait for flatheads maybe you boys should try puttin some of them on a kahle hook.

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the tip but knowing how doen't help if you can't locate the fish.

14. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    A friend of mine fishes flatheads in a smalller section of Bear Creek, says he catches some nice fish but nothin big.

15. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    we gonna have to get together and try them out up there in Bear Creek and see how we do. wouldnt mind going up to Jordan Dam and trying my luck, anyone got any info on that region lately?

16. bamacatman

bamacatman New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey guys if u r looking for flats fish at night in the creeks around the mouths with bream ,better have some heavy gear and be prepared to stay all night. The flats r up there where you guys r fishing but you will have more luck at night. keep reeling them in fellers.

17. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    I recently visted phenix city and saw some rivers/lakes that looked real fishy. I am interested in flatheads. Anyone have suggestions where near Phenix City I can fish for some Ops. I plan to go out there in March-April time period. I will be fihing from a OK Prowler Kayak. Is it legal to use yo-yo's in Alabama. What are the rules on jugs? Any help would be appreciated.