Where are the crappie?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Flatheadhunter33, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    For the last seven years that I have been here in Az, I have not seen or heard of anyone that I know catching any crappie. I have noticed this year that I have been catching some slab sized blue gill. My uncle in Ohio insists that where ever 'gills can be found, crappie are'nt far behind...still I have not seen one! Anyone here have any luck? Heck, once that water goes cold, I cant even find any 'gills out here and I have caught them in blow zero temps in Ohio:crazy:!

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ive caught them at pleasant while fishing for bass(ducks for cover), but ive never seen them in any quantity. Best bet would be a light over some submerged trees and some minnows at the nothern end of lake pleasant. Most likely catch 10 striper/white bass for every crappie though.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've seen them caught arounf ferguson lake, and in lake mittry. sometime when your up in martinez lake, stop by the marine cabins and talk to the guys running them. specially big mike. he targets them big time around dec and jan in river.
    i've always had to run out of town that tiime of yr. hopefully this yr i won't.
    gary

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks guys. I have been in the Martinez area just about everytime out this year since we fish some of backwaters up there. I will surely get over there to talk to Big Mike!

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have never targeted them in arizona but have seen them caught with minnows on Roosevelt and Pleasant over cover at night. Submerged lights help too.

Sportsman's Warehouse in Mesa is planning on offering a free "Targeting Winter Crappie" seminar sometime in November, if you are in the area. Check the website for details.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Dameon the most impressive stringer of slab crappie I have ever seen came from lake martinez. He caught them trolling the section that is blocked off for the winter for the birds. They usually open up that area for fishing in march. Thats when all the crappie fisherman head down their. Also try the boat docks at Lake Martinez. The crappie are huge down in the southwest.Good luck.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    It has been a while since I have been targeting crappies.. But go to Roosevelt on the salt end.. I have had several hundred crappie nights there in the fall-winter..

Later.

8. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az

i'm just starting to see the crappie fisherman come out on rosie,there catching them in about 20 ft of h20 around the brush using minnows some are catching them trolling on small jigs color john deere green

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks everyone. Im going out today (got the day off:wink:!). Might get to the Mittry lake area but am planning to go up to Martinez. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

10. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Dameon, my experiance leads me to believe that Mittry is a better lake for crappie than Martinez.
    What you need is some small 2'' shinners and fish them on a bobber about 3-4' along the edges of all those tulies.
    We used to use minnows we caught in traps we kept in the small drainage ditch by our house.
    But you can make a good trap out of 1/4'' wire mesh. just form it into a 14-18'' deep basket and tie a rope to it then toss it in one of the canales where a pump is dumping water into it and drag it through the turbulent water.
    Look for the floating tulies and fish just deep enough to get your bait below the root ball.
    You can use a weight above your leader or below it as long as it keeps your bait just out side of the roots.

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the advice Tom. I got out today and put in at Senator's wash. Whent from there to Martinez. I still have to learn that area. Im not sure if I was actually still on the river or on what is considered the lake...
    Didnt have any luck for crappie but I got some nice slab 'gills. I didnt have any minnows so I was using small curly tailed grubs in various colors. I'll try to locate some minnows next time.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dameon, it's legal in az to use any goldfish. go to the pet store and get some feeder goldfish. hook them behind the dorsal and put under bobber. small wire hook and they last a little while. i doubt if martinez is getting the crappie shinners in yet. did you try talking to mike this trip?
    gary

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I didnt get to meet Big Mike yet. I saw a pic of him on the MCCS website for the Martinez Lake cabins. Im going to make it a point to get over there and check him out though.

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey everyone! I think I may have finally caught an Az crappie! Dont know if it was or not though. It had a purplish tinge to it. Had all the spots of a crappie. Could not really tell the shape of the fins. I was catching some gills and hooked into some big ones, then on one hit my ultra lite is pulling a little more than usual and in comes this fish. Big mouth for a pan fish like a crappie too...I didnt get any pics. Im just wondering if anyone has seen a crappie with purplish coloring out here before?

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Damion, sure sounds like one to me.
    by the way, you launched out of squaw lake. senators wash is landlocked.
    i'm thinking of going out today after i get a few things done this morning and pick up some goldfish. haven't made mind up for sure yet. if i go, i've got a empty seat if interested.
    gary

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    learned a lesson today. i was fishing the river, using 4lb line as i used in lakes in ca. can't do that here. had two on, and lost two in the limbs. might of got the second if had partner to use net, but maybe not. but next time, i'll have heavier line.
    gary

17. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary, sounds to me that the line wt. is correct, ya just got to learn to lead em out of the cover more forcefully..... LOL....might have to come down that way and see what your methods are for loosing em...

bayrunner ray

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks Gary! Im still trying to get all the names right for the different spots out there:wink:. Heck Im also being told that I never actually got on Martinez Lake even though I thought that I was. By the way, sorry to get back to ya so late on the invite.