Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Where are the channel catfish

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GMC FishHauler 
#1 ·
I HAVE BEEN FISHING ALOT LATLEY. AND NO MATTER WHAT I DO I CANT FIND THE CHANNELS . HAVE BEEN HAPPY THOUGH FOUND A COUPLE SMALL FLATTS. BUT WHERE DO THE CHANNELS HANG OUT THIS TIME OF YEAR. EVERY YEAR I LOSE THEM ABOUT THIS TIME . AND WOND FIND THEM AGAIN UNTIL NEXT SPRING . ANDI FONT KNOW WHY...... HELP

#2 ·
Mike,
Down here in Texas (Lake Lewisville) I've been catching them in water between 13-20 feet deep. We're chumming the area with range cubes and soured grain. Fishing with Danny King's right on the bottom with a #4 or #6 trebble. The bite has been extremely light and hard to detect on my regular 20 lb gear. I put an 8 lb spinning outfit in the boat this morning and it paid off quickly. I took my 4-year old daughter out this morning and caught my 25 in about 4 hours. That was in between snack time, countless games of "I Spy", coloring books and "Daddy, I need to use the bucket." I would trade fishing with her for anything.

#5 ·
They still bitting out here in PA funny thing is they are know slamming the baits. I usually "loose" them after the second week in October.:sad2: Thats why i have been out just about every day....lol.... Well except for today decided to take a break.

#7 ·
I'm in SW VA where it's been very hot and dry. I fish a local lake that has maintained a near normal water level. I've been fishing exclusively at night and have focused on flats near deeper channels on the main lake. Over the past couple of weeks I've seen the channel cat bite slowly turn on. I'm using only fresh cutbait (bluegills) and catching some really nice ones. The last 7 channels have averaged over 10 pounds each. The biggest was 16 pounds. The areas I'm fishing usually hold a lot of baitfish and are also hotspots for stripers and hybrids. The channel cats seem to move up on the flats at night to feed on the same live or injured baitfish. Several of my better nights have come when I'm hearing stripers/hybrids bust on schools of baitfish. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.