Where are the channel catfish hiding?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jammer, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know its early, but the water is warming up. I been out on a small lake and a resevoir, fished the shallows out to deep water, up and down the lake. I'm using fresh shad, crawlers, shrimp and liver. Can't buy a bite. What has everyone else found to work at this time of the year?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jerry you get on one side Ill get on the other and have a couple of brothers get inbetween to catch them all. Thats what happens to be about everytime :lol: . Im supprised my wife even lets me buy
    anymore LOL

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jammer, i don't know if this will be any help to you. i have been fishing some on the river, and a small lake that is fairly shallow. Most of the channels i have been catching have been suspended. I have been fishing a slip-float with liver. i have caught a few on bottom, and those have been in real shallow flooded areas off from the river.(corn-fields for ex.) tried fishing some deeper water with no luck. maybe its just luck by draw, but i always try to find the warmest water i can find early in the year, then fish accordingly...goodluck

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

A week and a half ago, crawlers were the only thing working at an area lake (Tappan) We had a good amount of rainfall, so the feeder creeks at the backs of bays were producing. The last week though, the shallow end of the lake has been produving good numbers of fish 2-5 lbs. All have been on Cut shad though. they have not wanted a crawler.

Here is a pic of the girlfriend holding a 4 lb 3 oz channel she caght this past sunday on shad. First fish in 2 yrs for her
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/rockbass06/Fish/Shannonfirstof074lb4oz.jpg

5. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Myself and a friend of mine fished the flooded spillway below Deleware res. We were using cut shad on a slip bobber rig and just letting out rig circle around i the eddies and managed to get some pretty nice cats that way. We also lost a bunch because our lines were slack most of the time from the circling motion and by the timewe realized there was a bite the fish already had the bait and was gone... I havent tried on the main lakes yet but in getting ready to head out tomorrow finally got the boat ready so hopefully i can get a few on Alum Creek res .... Hope this helps you out , I';; keep you posted on how we do tomorrow.............

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, everyone.
    Allen, Last year your advice on the shallows in Alum Creek was dead on. My son and I had a ball catching 1 to 8# channels.

7. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well we just got back from Alum awhile ago.. Cold Cold Cold !!!!!!! and I caught a Cold too .

We started fishing north of Howard road in the channel didnt do any good so we moved south of the bridge on the east side just north of the boat ramp. Managed to get 2 keepers from that spot about 2lbs each. Water depth was between 8 and 10 feet.

We moved farther south close to the 36/37 overpass fished the flats out there for about 4hrs and managed to get 4 more nice keepers 2 to 4lbs. Water depth was between 4 and 8 feet. All fish were cuaght on cut bluegills or shrimp most came from shrimp. The cats that were biting were fairly agressive but the bite was slow most of the day. Oh did i mention it was cold.... Hope this helps some of you out a little. Im gonna be fishing a Trny there this next weekend so ill let you all know how i do after its over.....

8. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have found all my channel cats by wood so far this year and they have been tight to the wood... flathead man

9. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    where are all of you guys getting all the flatties at on tappan ? and what ya useing for bait? ...flathead man