Where are the catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by skipper1, Apr 14, 2007.

1. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I fished all day yesterday and caught fish, then at night they stopped biteing, had fresh cut bait and everything. i fish on lake hickory, is it to cold to fish at night? still

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Did you catch more bait later in the evening ? If not then your bait probally wasnt so fresh anymore.Plus with these cold spells were having they are probally more active during daylight hours.

3. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yea I caught bluegill till about 9.30 since the bluegill stopped biting for my family at 8:00 but my bait was fresh, your right these cold spells are weird.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you were fishing from the bank, they probably just vacated that particular area, and moved out deeper where you couldn't reach them.

5. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught a 5 pound channel cat and a 3 pound flathead wed. during the day I havn't had much luck at night so far this spring. I was fishing where a creek dumped into the lake. Caught them on shrimp.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive noticed when im fishing a system where theres flatheads the small to med.size channels will go hide at nite.you may have a place where you can catch larger flats when the water warms a little more.

7. LuniticFringeInc

LuniticFringeInc New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have had a few days like that lately...We have gotten 4 ft of water in the last month, the temps have been fluctuating wildly from one end to the other every few days and with all of the run off the water looks more like Chocalate Milk. There has been a lot of fishing but not much catchin'.

8. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    whats the best chum or what to use to bait the area to get them to stay. I just bought a house on the river and the only thing catching is blue gills,little white bass, and occasional catfish,not even pansize. I live close to a damn, no eletrical one, if you fish lake hickory from nc might know it as rink damn

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The fish is biteing u just got to find where they is hitting.

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Take a burlap bag or netting bag like for laundry and put in several pounds of horse feed or cheap dog food. Also chunk in a couple of cans of cheap dog and/or cat food that has been punctured with nail holes. Tie it to a stout rope and throw it out so it lies in 5 or 10 feet of water. If you have a feeder creek nearby that is an ideal place to tie off several such bags.
    A place we used to fish in the Dan River had a small feeder creek that ran into the river just up stream from our favorite bank fishing spot. A couple of days before we planned on sitting out all night fishing we would bait the creek as described above. One night we were fishing and heard a heck of a racket in the creek. I took a lantern and found a huge catfish trying to swim up stream in about 6 inches of water to get to the bait bags.

We always caught a cooler full of nice cats using this method.

11. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Same thing happened to me the other day.Caught fish one day then the next nothing.Weird.I'm sure it had something to do with the weather or something.Or maybe I was holding the pole wrong :big_smile_2: Going back this Saturday to give it another shot though :wink: