Where are the catfish in the Trinity River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by byron9393, Oct 13, 2008.

1. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man i have been fishing hard for the last few weeks in every log jam i can fined w/shad, cut perch, live perch. On the bottom, mid depth & on a cork set about 3'. Just trying to fined their mouth somewhere in that wood pile. Fishing from about 3' to 12' of water under the pile. Going from around 2am to 8am night after night after night. Have cought a total of 4 yellow's & 5 blues w/nothing over about 5lbs. What is up???
    I live around the Trinity, Riverside area on lake livingston. Can someone please give me some tips. I'v gone through dry spells before but this is getting to my sence of humer.

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Going through a flathead slump too. Couple good runs but nothing solid lately.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have a friend who is fishing over by whiterock creek and i will let you know what he is finding when he calls later today. i know he will be in the river just above outback campground today or tomorrow. we usually catch some good ones from outback down to whiterock.

4. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    Buddy, the two ole guys that taught me the proper way to trotline have been fishing Livingston for years, and I mean they're in their 60s and they been fishing it since before they had their young'ns. They went to Wolf Creek as we gather there every October fer a week and they said outta 250 hooks they might have caught 25 fish in 5 days..... Don't know what's up with that ole lake.....

The moon is full and they say....... 4 days B4 and 4 days after...... But this was last week and ole catfish billy has been fishing it purdy regular the last few months..... not much to write home about he says.... Again, not sure what's up with livingston. It ain't really been the same since they let all the water out of it after Rita.....

Are you all the way up there by the Hwy 19 bridge????

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Ive been doing good on the Trinity for the last month. Im fishing down near 90 in about 25-30 ft of water.

6. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    last i heard all the fish were in the water maybe thats just heresay but i would give it a try lol sry had to be a smart arse but i havent fished the trinity before wish i could help ya more

7. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was on the Trinity yesterday checking on my duck blind, put in at the rangers station south of 10. Went north up by the sulphur cut and saw a lot of bait in the water. I may run out there with the boys to give it a try if I can find time. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i was fishing the trinity and cats wernt biting id change up and go for some giant gator gar.but thats just me

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the guys fishing in the whiterock creek area say it is bad there too. they have jugs out and are not catching hardly any. on rod and reel it is even worse. if the rain last nite was enough to get the creek moving it may improve. they are gonna look for some sand bass today over on a big sand point.

10. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    Havnt had much time to get back to you. To much work. Did go out agin the other night. Stayed all night hitting every lay down from the 19 bridge back to the carolina cove.. Not a bite. All the olde timers here say that the lake just aint acting right. But i know them fish still have to eat.
    Fixen to change up and start trying the creek channels. I dont think i have ever seen such good cat waters and not been able to get bit.

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Te lakes I fish have been acting strange as well. Places we always limit out,nothing. Don't know what it is.

12. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    We tried to go to Livingston Friday night but the white caps were a rollin so we left and went down to Liberty and put in at the Port of Liberty. The port channel is about three miles long and has virtually no current. We put in and the first time I looked in the water there were shad everywhere. We caught some and set our jugs. We caught about fifteen fish but most were pretty small. The largest one was about four pounds. They bit well until around 11:00 and then they just stopped. The water is terribly low right now that may be affecting them.

13. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    Hate to hear all this bad fishing news but at least i feel a little better about it now. Thanks to all of you for your time and info.
    I have not had a chance to go out over the last couple of nights. Have to work. But i'm fixen to go here in another hour. Thought i might try the creek channel tonight for a few hours. My wife got to go crappie fishing the other night and she cought quite a few small blues on shiners. Maybe i can fined their grandaddy back there.

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    You're right, that port channel is absolutely full of bait. I get my bait there and
    fish in the river. Ive been catching some good blues about a mile up from the hwy 90 bridge. The link below is to a flathead I caught by accident.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95037

15. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Raybait man I must have at least seen you on the river if you fish that area all the time. I fish there also and catch all my bait in the cut as well. Do you recall seeing a G-3 16' boat with a yamaha and two flathead stickers on the steering console? I have a white ford 4X4 and I'm down there all the time. The storm has really slowed down my fishing for the past few months but I will soon be back in action. I got me some of that rubberized paint for the decks on my boat and just doing a little clean up before the winter fishing season really gets going. Being a lineman for the power company that has really got into my fishing time too. lol Well I will look for you down there since we fish the same water all the time. Ray

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Raybait1,can you teach me how to catch fish with no bait. Lately I can't catch them with bait,so I need a new trick.

17. DanL

DanL New Member

State:
    Texas
    Byron, try going upstream from the 19 bridge. The mouth of Harmon Creek all the way up to above the 980 bridge is good. I know that the fish were there last week end. Further up there is a huge hole right at the cut across where the river almost loops just below the old Bells Camp Marina. further up you have Whites Creek, the cliffs, Chalk Creek and then Nelson Creek just below the new 3478 bridge. Also if you are fishing a small boat you might slide into the little pool just north of the 19 bridge and try the backs and little necks in there.

Drop me a line at texdanl@yahoo.com I live in Riverside and fish the river a lot.

18. Mudcat Hunter

Mudcat Hunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just sayin hello for the first time, just joined! Especially to those fishing around 19 bridge. I havent had a boat for the past year so have only gone a few times with a buddy of mine. I'm hoping to change that by Jan 1 with a new rig, got my eye on one just can't get time to go get it (and it's on sale!). Byron it sounds like you're havin the same luck i've always had this time of year in that area. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to finding them soon and we can both catch something!