Where are the catfish around keystone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by posifour11, Nov 25, 2008.

1. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    my little sneaky spot has fizzled out for now, nothing but a couple of bites for the last week. so, monday, i listened to the fishing report on the OK DNR website and headed to the dam. not only did i not catch any shad, but not even a bite in the area.

i lost 4 hours or my time, and several line breaks. i've fished below the dam 4 times now, and have lost more tackle there than anywhere else.

so i pose this question, where have the cats moved to? are they already in the main channel? or spread out somewhere? i'm not really looking for monsters, just some 5-15 pounders.

thanks for your help

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Try 12-20' of water in the upper end of Keystone. Get on a windy causeway and fish with cut shad on the channel lip before it drops into the channel. Fish the windy side.

catman george

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Were they running water out of the dam? I use to fish it at night on the north side, while they were running water, and killed them. I use surf rods and cut shad, and toss just past the generator flow.

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I hear from reliable sources that shad are a little hard to find on Keystone. Tie an extra 20 feet on your castnet handline and make sure your net drops all the way to the bottom. In colder water associated with a drop in the lake level, the shad will be laying on or very near the bottom and hard to net. Concentrate on water that is 25-40 feet deep.

I'd anchor at the edge of a drop-off to a main channel and fish the side of that dropoff as well as the bottom of the channel and the shallow side. The fishing won't be fast, but it will produce some filets if you have the patience.

5. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    thanks guys, still no luck at the moment.

i'm fishing near cleveland from the bank, no boat yet. i just used up the last of my frozen shad since i haven't been able to catch any live.

i know i'll be freezing more next year.

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    If your gonna be fishing below keystone when they're not running water,try using a slip bobber rig. This will save you a lot of lost tackle,and will probably help you catch more fish.Try fishing about 8-10 ft. deep JMO Allen

7. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    well im no expert on keystone but i can tell you this one reason your not catching many fish below the dam is the frozen baits they may work in the lakes an such but from trial an error they wont work worth a crap below the dam in the last 6 months i have cought over a 1000 pounds of fish from the dam most on small carp fillets about a 2 inches long an a half inch wide another thing is distance if you cant throw 120 yards+ your wasteing your time other then catching dinks meaning 6-8 inch fish another thing if your fishing the north side when the water is running u have to get over the generators in the calm water to have the best chance at catching fish bounceing along the bottom as if you were striper fishing but with shad heads or small filets hope this helps you a little bit

8. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    He is right about the frozen shad. If it don' bleed when you cut it, it is not fresh enough. Albert has a good way of preserving shad that I am going to try. He puts ice in an ice chest and puts 2-3 handfuls of ice cream salt on the ice and then when he gets to the lake he nets and dumps shad right on the ice and they freeze. he says as long as you do not let them get wet and they stay frozen in the ice they will last 2-3 days like that and that they will bleed when cut. when they get mushy ther not any good any more