Where are the blue catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jlingle, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Could you guys please describe what type of depth and/or structure you guys are catching the blues in right now? I've been out 3 times this week using fresh shad and have hit the places at my local lake that I thought should contain fish.... haven't caught a single blue. Any tips?

Jerrod

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It depends on the water temp and the lake, and if they are spawning the bite may be slow. Each water fishes a little different, so you best advice will be from anglers on that lake that fish for cats. There are lakes near me on the same river chain that fish entirely different on the same day.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jerrod,

Were hitting the tail end of the bluecat spawn here in Oklahoma. There's still some spawning but a large majority of bluecats will head upstream in the creeks and main river channels to spawn. The make there way back down the river into the main body of the lake this time of year. I would try to focus my efforts on the upper end of your lakes. Fish the shallow flats next to creek and river channels. Blues will suspend in the middle of the water column during the day chasing shad and come shallow in the evening. What lake are you fishing?

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Chris, I'm down in SW Oklahoma, fishing Lake Lugert/Altus. I know we've got blues but I can't seem to catch them when I really want to. Sorry rascals have got me stumped. The north end of our lake where the river comes in is pretty shallow. It runs from 15ft to about 2 ft. for about 2 miles. Is this where I should be looking in the evenings, or should I concentrate my effort on deeper water right now? The water temp down here is about 80, and I'm pretty sure the spawn is over.

Jerrod

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's the problem with these made made lakes, slited in at the upper end. The river pushs all this slit into the mouth of the lake where it doesn't get pushed farther downstream. Lakes with 30+ years old will have this problem but there's still good fishing on the upper end. Learn the upper end of the lake I'm sure there's some creek and river channels with some depth still to them but might take some time to find. Fish can be caught and lots of them in very shallow water. Keep your motor trimmed up and you should be able to get around in water that shallow. Also fish the wind and focus your efforts on wind blown points and shores. The shad will be there and the catfish will be there also.

Altus is a very pretty lake...been since the early nineties that I've been there. I was stuck in Hobart, OK for six weeks and drove there a few times a week....not a dang this to do in that town. Spent some nice times fishing from the shore.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    July 2nd and 3rd we caught 2 blues in 4 foot of water on live perch. First was 10# other was 3#. Havnt been out fishing much latly so cant help other than that.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Chris, thanks for the help. If I could rep ya again, I sure would. Darn thing won't let me...... I guess I oughta "spread it around some more" anyway.

Thanks, you've been a big help.

Jerrod