Where are the bigger flatheads?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by widowgetr, Jul 13, 2008.

1. widowgetr

widowgetr New Member

State:
    ohio
    We have been catching four to nine flatheads a night but all are three to fifteen pounds.We mostly fish creek mouths or smaller river mouths that enter the Ohio River near Belpre,Ohio.Most of the fish are coming from fifteen to twenty five feet deep.We cant seem to find any bigger ones.Should we be looking some place else or keep fishing.We been using live bluegills for bait.Any help would be appreciated.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    welcome to the boc.

there will probably be bigger flats in the area,just not like the smaller ones.they are more of the few and far between crowd.keep looking for them,you will get ahold of one eventually.just try to match your bait with what is most abundant in the waters you are fishing,those guys didn't get big by being stupid :big_smile:

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    possibly try getting closer to shore in shallower water near structure. Hope it helps, keep us posted!:big_smile:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Larger baits often help. Also try cut bait too.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First of all welcome to the site bro.. Sounds like you are doing something right if you are catching flats. I think the problem could be that alot of these fish are just coming off spawn, or are still spawning depending on your area. I fish the Muskingum River a good bit, and it has been slow for the last month now. However we are starting to catch some smaller flats that have a the signs of a spawned out fish including cuts, scrapes, large red sores on them etc. My advice would be just be patient and keep after them, the bigger ones will show up eventially..... goodluck...rollo

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There just may not be alot of bigger flats in that area, if those fish have not been released it takes a while for them to grow to trophy size.

8. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    well you could try to use carp about 1lb carp live that seems to work or you could throw a cast net in the area and see wats swimmin around

9. widowgetr

widowgetr New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions,the fish we have been catching have had sores,scrapes and other marks.This is the same stretch of bank I caught a 35# last fall.Is it possible that the smaller ones move out to thier summer haunts first?The area is a shallow slough dropping from 3-4ft. to 16-24ft. into river channel.We start above the mouth then pull anchor and drift back possibly catch 1-3 fish then it slows.We do this 3-4 times ending up about 250 yards below the mouth.It seems when we get a run,another rod always takes off also_One nite we had 4 on almost same time,talk about chaios.My question is are these fish running in schools up and down the shelf if so should we wait in one spot or keep moving?Once we leave this stretch of bank our bites go down hill.I learned fishing bass tournaments you don't leave fish to find fish,but we're wanting to find bigger flatties so should we stay or try to find some shallow logjams?

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a feeling that was the problem:wink:, hang loose especially if you have caught big fish in this area before.... they will be back.... rollo