Where are the baby carp at?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by dip, Jun 17, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i been thowin for shad for many moons and i've caught bass, saugeye, crappy, gills, suckers, drums, skipjack, perch, walleye, others i caint think of and BIG carps. and baby versions of all the above. except CARPS! WHAR IS THE BABY CARPS? OR are they born at 5# and grow from there? biggest carp i have netted i estimated at just over 20#.

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    dip,

we get the little carps, from 4 to 8 inches, on UL in the creek, on worm or waxworm.

Dennis

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Dip and discussed this a bit last night and came up blank. I am gonna go to another site and ask in a carp forum and see if I can get an answer before beat down for wanting to use them for bait. :big_smile: Also, I have thrown a bajillion times in grand lake too without ever getting a carp under 5 lbs. I'll post later if I get some type of answer.

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    In summer time when duck lakes and sloughs go dry, we use to seine them for bait and get a lot of, small carp, I also think they head up small creeks especialy, muddy ones. have found them their, find a hole on a small creek and put grain or some type of chum and fish it or, cast net it, they seem to be fairly fast, probley would catch more on corn and small hook, around chum.
    Jim

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    one time at springer lake my mom snagged a little carp right in the back at first i thought she was using him for bait it was about 3inches she kept it on the hook and threw it out and caught a 32in pike.

6. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Go figure, I was throwing my cast net for shad tuesday night and got a 7 in carp. Too bad I wasn't heading to the river or I would have kept it.

I suppose the others are correct in they stay in small creeks and such untill they are no longer concidered bait by other fish.

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    ol whiskers sent u a pm. on those creek carp. i have a good pond i can get them from but its hard to get into at times.. thanks

8. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good to see someone else from SM on here.

I hardly ever see carp under 5 lbs. Most are about 7 -8.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I net tons of baby carp in a local spillway..I threw about 20 back tonight all under 10 inches..I also find them in back water areas of the scioto in shallow water with no current.

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    If you are fishing for flats Jack then why don't you keep a few?

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont like using live bait, to much hassle dragging around around the bait and aireator.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    only places i have gotten them are in small ponds (stunted carp) and very small creeks that empty into the ohio river. a freind lives close to cincinatti and he has a couple creeks down there that are ate up with baby carp. i wanna say one is Mill Creek.