Where are some deep holes on the Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Montgomery, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    can anyone tell me a nice deep hole i could try . i'm from the dayton area. live close to the gmr.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mike, in the Dayton area you are looking for the deepest hole in say a 1 mile area which is where the cats will group up for wintering purposes, the water speed, depth, sediment all have to be just right so there may only be 1 wintering hole per several river miles, just cant tell.

The hard part is getting someone to tell you where these holes are ( and since I dont know of any wintering holes myself) but what I can tell you is that that in the Dayton area you should be looking for water in the 8-10 ft depth. Youll just have to get out, read some water and experiment like the rest of us....

Good luck!
    Salmonid

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wasn't aware that the river got that deep. But I've never been up that far. Down where it meets the Ohio, it's pretty shallow. I ruined a prop over there before. :lol:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are actually lots of deeper areas of the gmr but it does average about 4ft from its start at indian lake to the ohio. i know of dozens of holes that are 25+ft, actually 3 of them are near the junction with the ohio. in the dayton area i'd say taylorsville dam and the old dam at west carrolton are the deepest by far. if you plan on going to the old WC dam make sure you take plenty of hooks and sinkers, it is snag city!

5. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know of a few deep holes on the gmr within a 1 mile section the deepest one is aprox. 13 feet deep the others are aprox. 7-8 feet deep.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    get a topo map and check it out, it'll save tons of on water time!