Where are all the pheasants

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Nov 10, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It was our lowest kill total in over 10 years. Eleven guys only got 40 birds. Last year we got over 100 in 2 days. Here's a few pics. My cousins said they saw bunches of them when they were cutting milo a week ago.Don't know where they went.

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dang, looks good to me. Congrats.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't know what the complaint is,That sounds like a great trip to me,our season lasts for THREE DAYS , 3 ROOSTERS/day You have it good !!!

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Looks good to me. Looked like a great hunt.

What part of the state did you go to?

5. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Three of us went this weekend and only got Two Pheasants and like 7 quail in Glascow, KS. North of Salina. We saw a lot less this year compared to last year. We thought it was because of all the standing Milo that you are not supposed to walk through. Plus we had a new dog that didn't know what it was doing. What part of the state did you go to?

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    My son went to Pratt Ks. this weekend with 4 other guys. They limited everyday for 3 days. Got quiet a few quail also.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We were hunting around Beloit in Mitchell county in north central Kansas.We are pretty spoiled we usually get around a 100 on opening weekend...2 years ago we had 73 in one day and 125 for the weekend.There is a ton of cover this year.We did see boatloads of deer and more quail than we've seen in several years. The Prairie chicken population is up as well.There are more of them now than I can ever remember.I have more pics but my son is in them and my wife won't let me put any kid pics on the net.

8. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you hunt the WIHA areas? If so do you have any luck? We haven't had much luck with those. I am going to Cawker city this weekend and hope that I might have better luck up there.

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    any public land you guys would recommend close to Kansas City? I would like to make a day trip from Columbia sometime this year if the out-of-state fees aren't too stiff:angry:

10. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We normally hunt only private ground that my relatives own but we may be scrambling for other places to hunt if it's not any better than that. A lot of the walk in land that I see out around Beloit is not worth squat. Very short pasture or winter wheat and not much crp or milo. I would almost go to Iowa instead of ks if I was in Columbia you have to go pretty far west to find decent numbers of birds. Maybe up around Troy/Brown county might be alright.... I haven't been up there in years used to have an uncle up that way but when he died at only 60 he only had female relations and they sold the farm.

Attached Files:

11. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I was hunting around the Geneseo KS. area opening weekend, birds were hanging out in the uncut milo.

12. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    6 of us shot limits near Dodge City yesterday (all private ground because the WIHA has been pounded). Hunted by the combine to harvest 7 of them:wink: Bird numbers aren't great this year, but there are pockets that will provide isolated success.

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    if you guys wanna hunt pheasants in iowa you should go up to the north western part of the state my girlfriend is from up there and im telling you right now i have never seen so many pheasants in one area and of course i didnt have my shotgun with me. and here in iowa the law states that you can only bag 3 ROOSTERS per person.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We had a better trip this weekend...12 of us hunted 1/2 day friday all day saturday and 1/2 day Sunday near Beloit KS. We got 52 pheasants and 10 quail. I shot 5 pheasants on Friday 2 pheasants and 1 jackrabbit saturday and 5 pheasants in one field on Sunday.We had really snowy wet weather friday all day and saturday morning. The wind came up about 35 mph on sunday. Makes it real hard to hit the birds they get up high real quick and they're movin 50 mph. you had to lead them about 5 feet.I thought we did pretty good considering my relatives had cattle on almost all the milo.I couldn't believe my luck that that jackrabbit sat so tight and there were no dogs around.It ran straight down the row of milo and it was haulin the mail by the time I got on it 40 yards out he was doing 45 mph. But I had a load of 3" mag #6's moving at 1200 fps and bugs lost the race with my benelli.

Attached Files:

15. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    JackRabbits taste any different than Cottontails? Are they tougher?

16. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    i really don't know....that's the first time I've ever seen one up close or seen one in shotgun range.I had intended to have it mounted and froze it whole but now I can't find a taxidermist that wants anything to do with it. They say the skin is really thin and it's tough to get the ears to come out right. I will call the guy out in Beloit maybe he'll do it.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They have quota hunts here in KY at a few wma's . Be thankful we really don't have many small game birds here at all .

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Its the same way here in ar very few game birds

19. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Delbert Bumbleshoot,

Don't know why this site won't let me thank anybody for their useful posts, but thank you for your encouraging report!!! Don't think I'll make it to that part of the state this year, but it is great to hear of someone else having some luck. Do you plan to go to the KS Mega gathering? Hopefully I can meet you there....maybe we can exchange some bird hunting and catfishing stories/secrets.

Later

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Hey Eric, i have shot a few of them Jacks in my years hunting out west but all mine were bucks with antlers on them.Your's must of been a doe:smile2::smile2: