Where and how to fish the cumberland?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Kevins51825, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Kevins51825

Kevins51825 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got plenty of skips for my next trip. Just wondering if anyone could help me out on where and how yall catch the big cats on the river.

2. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Yea I'd like to know too, I been at Wartrace, Defeated Creak and Cordel hull Dam, but I'm not getting into any. Good luck to yo on your endeavors.

3. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Oh and Welcome to the BOC, you'll find a bunch of info here and prob never find any people nicer than those on the BOC

4. Kevins51825

Kevins51825 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im new in town. Just want a little help getting started. Don't guess anyone fishes the cumberland.

5. festus

festus New Member

What section of the Cumberland do you live close to, Kevin? It's a long river and maybe you'll have to narrow down your area to get a response. I have fished the Cumberland around Cumberland Falls in SE Kentucky many years ago, and also below Wolf Creek Dam. Have also fished the tailwaters of Cordell Hull Dam and parts of Old Hickory Lake, but not recently. And also have fished the tailwaters of Barkley Dam which is also the Cumberland. It's been a little dead on here lately, hopefully it will pick back up soon.

6. Kevins51825

Kevins51825 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live in the southern part of clarksville. I put it on riverside or 41a bypass. Usually try to hit all the bridge pilons but haven't had any luck yet.

7. festus

festus New Member

Well, there's plenty of folks on here who live not that far away from you, so maybe you will get a response soon. I lived for a while in Carthage and Hartsville, but it's been a long time ago, back then I fished the Cumberland some.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Look for structure, submerged timber, big rocks, holes etc. Use the freshest bait that you have available, skipjack, shad, and brim are my favorites. Anchor above the structure you have located to where you can cast and have the bait a few feet above the structure. Try shallow, deep and in between till you figure out where the fish are holding. I know these are general things to do, but time on the water and trying different strategies will help to locate productive water.

9. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Welcome to the BOC

10. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Kevin welcome to the BOC.I fish the cumberland but seldom that far upriver.I normally fish from Dover area downriver.I usually drift or use trolling motor to ease along bumping bottom til I find fish or good structure and then like Bam said anchor above and cast down to them.Im not real patient and dont stay long in one place.Theres a lot of water and most of it doesnt hold fish.It will take lots of time on the river to find the spots you can normally catch a few.Mark those spots and over time youll be able to eliminate a lot of spots where the odds are not as good and fish spots you know normally hold fish.A lot of guys fish around the steamplant and upriver from there.Im not at all familiar with that area.The only time I fish up there is for skipjack.Ijust dont know the area is why I fish around Barkley and its about 25 mi closer for me as I live south of there.When you get you some good places found be sure and dont tell anybody but me.:wink:Imight add Im partial to 30-40 ft water

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009