where and how to catch channel catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by CraigO, Dec 26, 2008.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Finally got me a boat and am needing some advice. I'm looking to try and catch a few cats (channels) and am wondering where to find them in a lake this time of year. Water temp is now real close to 50. thanks!

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Craig the channels this time of year seem to be more spread out than ever. If I was fishing for channels this time of year I would fish in areas where the wind has been blowing into for several days. If the baitfish are there, the channels are not far behind. You could try this on Whitney or PK. I think both of these lakes would be close to you. Your other option could be the Brazos below PK, find deep holes on the backside of bends with some kind of structure. These should hold fish year around.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Winter time for me is nothing but blues its just easier to target them far as channels i dont have much luck in winter. but if you have a decent depth finder look for the bait schools around old deep creek/river channels in the main parts of the lake and just drift them with cut bait. drifting will allow you to cover alot of water which is good if you dont know the honey holes on a lake plus you dont waste alot of gas running around invest in some good drift socks they help alot with keeping your boat level with the wind making it easy to drift otherwise your gonna be constantly fooling with your lines and trolling motor

4. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Definitely dont limit yourself! If your gonna be fishing a lake with both channels and blues, fish for both. Their usually not far from each other. Use 6/0 hooks circle hooks, strong braided line, heavy mono leader and cut shad small to medium size, this should handle both.

5. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    are the blues deep in the winter, or at least this time of year through January and feb? Don't they go shallow in early march? thanks

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i mainly find the blues in deeper water this time of year 25-35 feet not the deepest part of the lake though. Just really got to find the shad the cats will be close

7. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Craig for channel's if you have a power plant lake close to you go there and fish the discharge canal and intake canal the water is warmer there, and do some chuming that well bring them kitty's to you. I fished with Cliff Hill at Braunig lake south of San Antonio,friday and caught 15 nice channel cat's useing big marv's punch bait.good luck

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Craig the blues should be deep this time of year. You should be able to find them in deep water, but i think you could look to the transition depths at any time.It seems that the blues around here are staying in transition most of the time. I dont know if it is the crazy weather causing this or not. The transition points seem to be anywhere that there is structure between the deep and shallower water.

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    We have been catching blues anywhere from 20' to 38' on Lavon. Cooper has been 25' to 35'. there have been channels mixed in at all depths. However,I bankfished Lavon last friday. Caught alot of blues really shallow. Like 5' to 15'. Fish ain't acting right yet.