where and how to catch Catfish on lake Oologah

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JEEPER, Apr 24, 2009.

1. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I want to fish Oologah lake for some catfish so could anybody tell me how they fish for them on the lake this time of year. Are they deep or shallow. Are they at the mouth of the river working there way up or are they working back into the lake. Whats your best bate on this lake. Thanks for all the help that gets posted.

2. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    This is my home lake. I do a little weekend chartering here. The answer to your question is yes they are shallow and yes they are deep. Depends on the day and the weather. I caught them 25-30 feet deep Monday but they were 1-10 feet deep Wednesday. They are a little scattered right now and they may be anywhere on any given day. The best bait is fresh cut shad (kept alive until cut) in my opinion for Blues. But the Flatties like anything alive like shad or perch. Channelcats will bite on just about anything right now. I did catch a 7lb and a 5lb channelcat on Monday on cut shad.

My favorite spots this time of year is North on Winganon Bridge.

The water temps according to my sonar on Monday was 56 degrees and with those 90+ degree days it was 72 degrees on Wednesday. We only fished for about three hours on Monday and on three hours on Wednesday but both days we had a few 10-13 lbers and several between 1-10lbs cleaned about 40-50 lbs of fish each day.

The crappie are really running right now caught a two lber in my throw net in 1-2 foot of water near a willow tree. We even caught a 2lb sandbass and a 2lb drum drift fishing the flats on cut shad heads.

Shad are scattered and shallow from 1-15 feet deep and hard to catch you might throw your net 50-100 times to catch 20-25 shad but they are ussually 6-8 inchers.

3. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I forgot to tell you welcome to the BOC.