When's your first shad trip?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Mar 15, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Just curious after being stuck inside this cold rainy weekend, what you guys were planing for your target day of the first shad trip.
    I cross the river each day for work and can see 14 th street and down to Ann Carrows and have yet to see a single boat trying yet.
    I know weather permitting I will be floating around trying to catch something next weekend.

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm not going to be hitting the "wall" for about another 3 weeks. I think its going to be crazier then past years down there if it could get crazier. They are building a marina for rockets landing so that may mean more boats, I saw my first jet skiers down there last weekend and I've never seen a jet ski down there in years past. I would really like to find a quite peaceful place to fish, I'm really getting annoyed fishing around people with all round bad behavior. All I'm looking for is a couple hours with the sabiki rig and that will do me for the season. I wish I could find a good spot up by Pony Pasture to catch the shad/herring I just don't know where a good spot would be....yeah this rainy weekend bites....
    good luck.
    david

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am going to try downtown Tuesday. They are crushing the shad at Weldon on the Roanoke River in NC. Shad have to be here any day now. Rockfish a snapping at their heels.

4. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Hey Keneth, I had pondered taking my boat to work Tue. and maybe giving it a try for the afternoon shift. Good luck!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia

That's my plan also. I want to be on the river by 3:00 PM and think I will fish until dark. Dusk is when the Stripers bite if any are around.

6. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia

Are you casting for stripers or tight line'n.

If so wha'cha throwing, crankbaits or topwater?

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish for them tight lining on the botton, a rod or two with a three way swivel two feet off the bottom and lastly two rods straight off the back of the boat with inline sinkers infront of a leader and bait that runs just below the surface a foot or two. I use 1 0z or 2 oz egg sinkers for those rods bepending on the current.

Since I can't keep it simple,, for yuks I put a bunch of noise maker beads and a big old tacky yellow or white or gold or silver blade on a clevis along with a rubber skirt in front of the hook. My baits look like whores on parade but the stripers do like em.:wink:
    Here's one of the stripers from last spring caught up by the 95 bridge in downtown.

Attached Files:

8. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Great info, That fish is almost as big as your smile. I think I may wait till Friday after work to hit it. I've got to get my act together before hitting the water.

Looking forward to your report....Best of luck.

I pass over the bridge every work day 3:35 to 3:40pm I'll be looking for ya.

9. gdsjr77

gdsjr77 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I usually try on the Rapahannnock last of March - First of April. Depending on the weather. I would try in the next week or so but I'm getting married on the 28th so...................Well you know how it goes!:wink:

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats Glen! I wish you the best. Don't give up fishing...................... it is hard to get back!

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Congrats on the wedding! The best way to ensure you always have fishing time is to make your new wife your fishing partner. A little patience in the beginning pays off big time in the long run. Again, congrats!

12. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Going Sat. morning anyone else gonna be out??Taking the toon out ..going to head towards Richmond....do a lttle ultra light action(Catfish Bait) and check on the stripers..I love the James this time of year:006::big_smile_2: