When will they learn tournaments hurt this lake's catfishing!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Dsage, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Found out from a friend that there will be a night touney
    JUNE 27 OSAGE STATE LAKE 7PM TO 7AM.

What will it take for them to realize that they are hurting the lake and not promoting the sport. I talked to a GW that was totally against the idea a few months ago. Guess that his boss does not care. Maybe we can do something about it, If we all band togather The last tourney that was out there on sunday after weigh in about I got out there and saw a handful of nice cats floating near the dock. Wish I had the camera that day.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Count me in Dan.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    A couple of you could go out to the tourney and drive your boat around and make a bunch of noise. You'll probably have some mad fisherman in the morning though. Or we could bring JJ back and instead of having him retrieve snags he could become a human snag:smile2:

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I think it's best just to document the number of cats that don't make it
    directly after they are released. Be polite, open-minded and take a lot of
    pictures of everything and everybody. If something doesn't work, point
    it out to the tournament organizers and the wildlife management team.
    Find the truth, speak the truth, give evidence to those suspicious of
    your opinion and you have done something worthy for all of us. Realize
    that everybody in this situation probably feels a lot like you do and
    would like to think they were harming nothing by this tournament.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I just think that there needs to be some thought in to putting so much pressure on such a small lake. I have no problems with Tourneys at all just keep them on large bodies of water. I heard several people having issues with things since there is one ramp there and it was still open to the public. Along with other acts that are against State regualtions. I think things need to be looked at on how the fish are handled after being caught. I saw several boats that had no type of live well system other than a plastic tote with no type of aeration.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Dan, it's not just the small lakes that suffer abuse from tournaments, here on Milford Lake, I've seen a lot of dead Catfish floating after a "catch and release" tourney. When cabelas had their Walleye tourney, there were quite a few dead "shorts" floating belly up, they aren't released, they're ripped off, and pitched back, they don't have time to release them. Now we've got a bass tournament this month, next weekend I believe, I'm sure we'll see a bunch of dead bass after this one's over too. Cuss me if you wan't, I DON'T LIKE TOURNAMENTS for any species of fish on MY HOME lake!

7. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I think it all depends on who is putting on the tournament. Backyard Baits Vs. US CATS. The difference is who they are going to attrack for thier tournament. The people that are going to fish Back Yard Bait's tournament are probably not going to be as equipped as the people fishing a USCATS' tournament. The smaller tournaments are a good way to recruit people to tournament fishing but they need to hold them at more than one lake. I think that the tournament directors need to put more of a focus on conservation. As long as tournament fisherman and directors are careful it can be safe for the fish. I am a tournament fisherman and dont want people to think bad of the sport. Yeah tournament put alot of pressure on a lake but so does the weekend fisherman. I do think that Osage lake is to small to be holding so many tournaments in one year. This was the first year I have heard of a tournament being held on the lake and there was three that I know of. Thats pushing the envolope.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They should have a length only tournament so that when one is caught a pic is taken of the measurement and the fish is released. Most of the fisherman are not equipped to keep a fish alive for very long. The lake is too small, imo, and they shouldnt be held there. Why cant people just fish for fun?:wink: Tournament cost way too much money for me to ever even think about it. I take pride in being a cheap fisherman.:smile2:

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    My feelings on the matter are that having a tournament changes the
    emphasis in fishing to a competition between men who are fishing in
    order to determine which of them is better at this one skill namely
    fishing for catfish. I prefer contests with a much less personal edge
    to them. Sort of like a beauty contest for the channel cats of this
    lake. Lots of photos and an obsession with returning the cats to the
    water without causing them harm. A lot changes when you change
    your attitude toward what you are doing. One of the things that
    brings folks to this lake to fish a tournament is that it is being
    managed to produce the next Kansas State Record Channel Cat.
    They want to catch that record fish during the tournament to
    increase their bragging rights. Bragging rights become the focus
    when you do this and the fish are just a means to that end. So
    the fish die a lot since nobody cares about their individual fates.

10. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Tournament fishing is really no differant than just fishing. I would guess that at least 50% of people who fish on the weekend clean thier catch. I would be willing to bet that more fish are cleaned and not ever eatin (meaning that they just stay in the freezer and get thrown away from being freezer bitten) than fish that die from being caught in a tournament. In tournaments 100% of the catch is to be released. Yeah some fish die from being in a live well all day. But it does not have that big of an effect on the fish. Dont take this as me trying to argue with everyone I just dont want tournamet fisherman to get a bad rap. This is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. lol One more thing it is human nature to be competitive. It started back in the old days when humans were competing over food for survival.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nicely said, I agreee 150%.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    CJ, have to differ with you on point, weekend Catmen and tourney Catman, a very different. The weekend guy goes the easiest way he can get near the water, throws in some bait, no matter what, worms, shrimp etc. Usually they don't net fresh shad, I've seen them catch goldeye with their worms and throw the GE back, some of the best bait for this lake, no pressure there, other than numbers.
    The tourney Catman knows what he's doing, he'll use a variety of the right bait's, he'll go where the Cat's probably holding. So you have a group of mostly experienced Catmen concentrating the pressure on where the Cats are, this is where the undue pressure comes from more from the tourney crew than the weekenders.
    I realize the majority of you guys do respect and try to properly care for your catch. But's it's extremely stressful to pull a BIG Cat out of deep water, put him in a livewell or on a stringer for a couple of hours, then a holding tank(?) while you're waiting to get him weighed. He may be alive when released, but how long does he live after that? We've seen quite a few big ones floating belly up.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have to go with Jim on this one , I also have seen many dead fish after tournaments. I have seen catfish hidden after the weight in , You would not be happy with what you see if you stay around when the tournament officials are packing up.

14. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I am also tired of the tournys being ran out of osage. Who is running this tourny dan? I have a few friends who would also be interested in stopping these tournys.

15. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I see your point Jim but you dont have to worry about me pulling the big ones from the bottom.:smile2:. There are a few tournaments that might hurt the population. But I would not take part them. There was a tournament down at John Redmond this year and I wont say who put it on but they harvested all the catch which was around 300-400. I dont agree with that at all and I think that would have a big impact on the fish population. I dont personally think that tournament fishing is hurting the population at all. If the tournament is ran right the amonut of dead fish should be small. With the tecnology we have these days (which most tournament fisherman have) we sould not see hardly any dead fish unless they swallow the hook or something. (which could happen to anyone). May be we should talk to some of the tournament directors and see if they would put some set rules for live wells. But then that could keep people away from the sport. Tournament fishing is just a way to make fishing more interseting. Its not for eveeryone but I sure do enjoy it. If you have not tried one; give it a shot. Just make sure your prepaired. Once again that is just my thoughts. I'm not trying to be argumentative Im just to get my point acrossed which I cant explain in words very good.

16. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Maybe KDWP should ban tournaments on public lakes less than 500 acres.They don't allow setlines or trotlines on small public lakes.I will look into it / contact wildlife and parks.If enough people squawk about it you can get things changed.KDWP backed off the change on opening day of pheasant season in only one year.Of course I heard rumors that Mike Hayden the director of wildlife and parks was getting death threats. In any case they changed it back to the 2nd Saturday in November. So I will call the region 2 office and complain and I urge any of you guys to do the same. I work for KS Dept of Revenue and I know when people call and complain about policies/ procedures we hear about it and they back down very easily.

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If we need to provide them with evidence, we can watch the next tournament
    at Osage closely, ask questions and take pictures. We have the manpower
    that KDWP cannot afford. Now we have a clear course of action.

18. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka

I do know that the tournament director has to apply for a permit on state lake. I dont think the people holding the ones at Osage are getting permits. I agree with you though some lakes are to small to have that kind of presure on them.