When will the catfish bite again?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by drcwaynem, Jun 21, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So how long should we expect the cats to be on their beds? Or shall I ask...when will they start biting good again???

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    it should only be another week or two before they are done. some of them are already off of the nest but the majority probably arent. id use the next week or two to gather some bait, from what i understand the mooneye are hitting on the mo river and skips are below the chain of rocks.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Theres a few starting to bite already, but not many. In the next couple of weeks the fishing should be back to awesome. btmfdr has a good idea. Gather some bait if they aren't biting for you.

4. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    I just got skunked 2 nights in a row on the Pecatonic river in Pecatonica, IL. Lots of bites, but none took the stink bait or the shrimp. Must have been small ones that were not big enough to take the bait. I caught a 5 lb and an 8" cat in the same spot last friday night. This is the nearest half way good spot from where I live to get to after supper. (18 miles). This weekend, (if the friggin rain ever stops) I am going to try to get to the spot where the Pecatonica meets the Rock river near Rockton, IL. I am also going to try with some larger live bait.

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    After This Weekend I'll Start Fishing After The 4th Of July.

6. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the rock and the pec alot and the fishing has been kinda slow. I fished the rock river in wisconsin at the beginning of the month and murdered the channel cats on bluegills but haven't ran into any flatheads yet

7. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    spoke to a guy last night at wal-mart. He went jugging on the kaskaskia last weekend and told me that he caught 18 nice channels. I was very surprised to hear that. I didn't get one...single...good...bite!!!:angry: Anyway, I will probably set some jugs out friday evening in Kaskaskia oxbows and do some (dare I say) bass fishing till dark:embarassed: . Then go see if I have anything on the jugs.

8. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Might want to try some bobber fishin for channels. Thermocline may also be affecting the bite.

9. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok...so what is thermocline? :confused2:

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Layer of water between deep and surface water. Temp is more uniform. Around here 4 to 6 feet. Hope this helps.

11. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    If you ask around at the baitshops near where you're going to fish they can tell you the exact thermocline for your lake. There's not usually a thermocline in rivers though (unless they aren't flowing).

12. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey wayne my wife and i went below melvin price tonight just got back we only fished for acouple of hours we caught some nice fish my 8 year old son caught his biggest we didnt weigh it but it was probably around 20lbs hey if you ever want to go below the damn just get with me maybe i can show some spots

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my area the cats should start feeding around the 12th day of never!

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Jack, over here in IL, they were starting to wake up last weekend a little so figure it should start up pretty quick here and we are a little farther north than you are so get ready and good luck.

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mine haven't really fallen asleep. I've caught several with deep scars and bites on them from spawning, but here's a link to the stringer I got yesterday morning. I was out from 7:30AM 'til about 9:30AM. :smile2:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552502691/2755898610093664757AqfkfV

My problem right now is finding the right spots, there's so much deadfall in my river that it spreads out the fish.

16. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    nice stringer partner!

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Last Saterday I switched from nite fishing to day fishing... It worked.. Put 1st pole out with shad and before I could get 2nd pole out 1st pole took off... 15 minutes later I had about a 15 lber beside boat... Instead of getting net I played with it too long and lost it... I ended up boating 4 cats from 2 to 4 lbs... Best day I've had this year... So they are starting to hit again...

18. Repete

Repete New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It must be on again we caught 3 flats 1 channel and 2 softshells friday night. 2 channels 1 flat saturday night and 1 hardshell. Sunday night 2 flats and a channel and a little softshell. My brother is on vacation this week and it looks like he may catch a bunch if it keeps up.

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm glad to hear that they are starting to hit. I haven't been out for a couple of weeks, but it has been terrible around here.

20. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have been catching them on crankbaits while trolling for crappie. That tells me they are in the middle of the lake chasing shad. When the shad come in this Fall, the cats will follow them.