When will Channel Cats spawn this Year ?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by retired stump jumper, Apr 24, 2006.

1. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Anyone got any ideas about when the channels will spawn this year. It`s usly within the first two weeks of june but I look for it to be early this year, but the crappie I have been catching at Big Hill, the eggs look like it will be another couple of weeks before they spawn.

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I think every fish will be late for spawning this year because of the low water levels. Big Hill lake is down & the Neosho River is down. With lower water the fish will hold for as long as they can. The water will rise sometime and they know it, I wouldn't be surprise the May is a very wet month. The bass at Big Hill haven't spawned yet either. This is my .02 cent thinking.

Where are you catching crappie at on Big Hill?? The crappie ahve spawned at Parsons lake..........I think it was Easter weekend when they did it.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been catching spawning channels for a couple weeks now from a small lake. Several were full of eggs that we cleaned. I would say the water temp is in the upper 60's or low 70's in this lake. The cats in bigger lakes will be effected differently.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well if Mother Nature ever gets done with the thermostate then maybe things will happen with some predictability. One day its 90 not its barely 40. At least we are finally getting some moisture.

5. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hi Ks. headhunter: I have been catching crappie at the boat dock at the damn. I do not fish for bass but I have a grandson that does & he says the bass have already spawned at Big Hill. But the crappie I have been catching there like a long ways from being ready to spawn.