When using fresh livers, how often do you

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Sunburn, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    change baits when the fishing is somewhat slow? When you aren't getting bit, how often do you change or freshen your bait? Phil...

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Depends on the bait. If it's cut eel (one of my favorite baits for my area) I can catch quite a few fish on the same peice. If its Liver than keep it freshened up every 15 minutes or so.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If I am not getting bites on fresh livers I would change them out about every 20-40 minutes depending on different things. If river fishing about 20 minutes if lake fishing about 40 minutes. If all else fails I change them out when they turn a whiteish color. But livers usually don't last that long for me, either the bream, turtles, are a bullhead keep messing with it.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Myself being one of the "LIVER LOBBERS" on the board would recomend this. I don't change it I just add to it. I'll load that hook up to the point where ya don't even need weight to cast it. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. Use the elastic thread and insure that the hook point is exposed and they will come. LOL!

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    He ain't kiddin, LOL. Puts like a pound of liver on a 8/0 circle hook!:big_smile:

6. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Ol George is on to the secret, big hunks of liver with no sinkers! Usually when you pull a piece of liver from the container there will be a larger piece connectd to a smaller one by a stringy thread type material, take the larger hunk and impale on a trebles points and then slowly wrap the smaller piece around the shaft till it takes a good hold. Try the sprink "bait holder trebles. If you are not getting many bites you can get up to three casts with the same hunk, I dip mine back in the liver blood before every cast though.

egg

7. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Ol George is on to the secret! Big hunks of liver and no sinkers. Usually when you pull a piece of liver out it will be a large part connected to a smaller piece by a thread type material. Impale the larger part on the treble hook points and then slowly wrap the smaller part around the shaft till it takes hold. The spring "bait holder" trebles are good for this. If the cats are not knockin the snot off of it you may get up to 3 or 4 casts with the same hunk, I dip mine back in the liver blood before recasting too.

good luck

egg

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cats usually love Bloody livers so I wouldn't change either.The only thing I might change is have some fresh chicken or beef blood with a dipper of some kind and keep a fresh scent trail going!-----------pk powell:big_smile:

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Give it the sniff test. If you can smell anything believe me the cats can smell it. Even after its been in the river for an hour there's still scent coming off of it.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    what ive loearned from katfshn50 is "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight":0a23:

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont change liver. Ususally if using liver and in 20-30 minutes I dont get a bite, I try a new location. Especially in a river, since the blood from the liver drifts down stream.

I fish liver a little different than other people on here, some put it in some kind of sock, to hold it on. I take a 6 inch piece of 10-12 lb test line and tie it into the eye of the hook. I then hook the liver a couple of times, and wrap the 10-12 lb test line around the liver, pulling it really tight, cutting into the liver with the line, this does a couple of things, it releases more blood into the water, and holds the liver on the hook really well. You might try this approach and see if it increase the bites.

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    that is a good question ,with a lot of good info supplied for us all to use ,
    THANKS