when using bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by slowjamcdub, Nov 17, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When usein bluegill for bait do you use a weight and sink them to the bottom???:confused2:

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Usually. I have used a 3 way swivel,weight on bottom,and a carolina rig. I do it the same with shad also.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah - carolina rig. some people may do differently, but if you give them too much slack they'll find cover and snag you up.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    yes, sometimes it takes a pretty good weight to hold them down, depending on how big your bait is. The carolina or 3-way rig works well

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    My favorite way to fish bluegills for blues is to fillet them and use the fillets or the head. They may get hung up, but it isn't because they swim into the snag. Blues love 'em. I usually cut the ribs off also, leaving a strip. Hook the strip in one end so they flutter in the current.

6. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Guys thanks a lot!!! Soon I will be gettin the big ones, and ill let you all know!!!! thanks for all the help.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    No problem. Thats what we're here for.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Live Bluegills for Flatheads and cut bluegills for Bluecats. When fishing for Flatheads....I will use a float and Live Bluegill , as well as a 3-way swivel rig with 4 oz. sinker for the bottom pole. When fishing for Bluecats, I will use a carolina rig with bluegill heads. :big_smile:

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    When I use gills for Flats, I hook them on the bottom back section of the fish so I don't hit any vitals and he swims more natural. I use about a 12" mono leader and usually a 3 oz. disc sinker. If I am fishing current I hook them in the lips.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I use a 2 or 3 ounce egg sinker with a 40lb swivel and one foot wire leader works well bluegill can swim around with get snagged up very well always hook them in the lips when fishing the great miami rick

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A carolina rig with a short leader will work best for the live bluegills. The short leader keeps them from getting you snagged quite as much. Just use as much weight as you need to keep him still.

12. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

In a high snag area I've used what they call a Santee Cooper rig. I use a three way swivel with a dropper line with a sinker with light mono. On the line with bluegill attach an inline bobber or float. It keeps the bluegill up and you can break off the sinker easily if you snag up.

13. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    depending on the size gill i use a 1-2 oz. sinker set up for the gill to fight against it a foot off the bottom. this seems to catch the flats pretty well

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I used them both on the bottom and from a slip bobber rig.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i keep my sunnies about a foot off the bottom with 2 or 3 oz. weight and on a sinker slide rig

16. fishingva93

fishingva93 New Member

State:
    virginia
    what is a three way swivel

17. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    hook through the tail wing it and let'r sit till she clicks

18. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    your kidding right :wink: .......RAT

19. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I normally use a three oz weight and keep the gills about 5 feet off the bottom

20. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i always use a no roll when i cut them up,it just depends how i want to fish them that day.