When To Start Fishing For Blues Around Dams

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TEAM CATTER, Jan 13, 2006.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Ha, Guys When Is It A Good Time Of Year To Catch Blue Around Dams On The Mississippi River. I Live In Illinios Around St.louis.if Someone Can Tell Me When It Is A Good Time Of The Year To Start To Fish Around Alton Dam,clarkville Dam, Or Winfeild Dam. Thanks

2. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey Catter I fished Price (Alton Dam) today and slayed em. Fished from 9:00am to 11:30 am and got 7 smallest 6 lbs & the largest 27.8 lbs. Not the HAWGS I was lookin for but they will do. :) Any time is a good time to fish. Also let me mention that it was about 34 degrees, sleet snow, and freezing rain. Windy. One thing that kinda told me it would be a good day was watching the 300 gulls above the water. I think I could actually see their bellies gettin fatter. :)

3. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Thanks, Bruiser For The Info But, I'm Looking For A Little More Info Like Bait, Location, And Gear.I'm So Dead Hard Just Yet. Too Go Out In This Cold Yet. Again Thanks For Info. If You Can Help Teach Me You Will Be The The Man:) :) :)

4. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well as far as bait goes I use fresh frozen shad during the cold months. I have a friend that I buy em for 75 cents a bag. Well worth it. Gear wise In these winter months I use a size 6/0 gamakatsu J hook on a slip rig with my clickers on because the runs are just not strong enough for me to use circles. What kinda gear are you workin with? Only bad thing about fishin there is hang ups. Ya better have a lot of tackle and be ready to lose rigs. If you can fish the power plant about 1/2 mile down river that would be your best bet. Thats where I usually catch some bruisers this time of year. And if ya need new gear or tackle lemme know. I get a very substantial discount at a local reatailer.

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Thank For The Info Bruiser I'll Pm You Later.

6. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    hay catter, we were up at winfield friday before christmas it made 60 degrees. there was a ferry right across the river on illinois. we took i think p just across the bridge at winfield down to a grainery then over the levy to the ramp. the dam was up about a mile. looking at the dam there is a dike on the right two little creeks come in nice hole there with bait fish. we were using a big jig with a stinger and big minnow. i think shad fillet would have worked better, our first time up there. look for a sea ark named cat eyes he is kinda quiet but he can sure out fish you well, me.

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Thanks Noodle I Try It.:)

8. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    No times better than now, find those deep holes where discharge comes out at.

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    fished clarksville dam twice this year only caught one lake sturgen last year i tore them up just havent found them yet no problem getting fresh shad there with a throw net

10. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Hey,slider What Time Of The Year Was Hot And What Time Of Theyear Did It Go Cold.

11. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    winter and early spring was the best but fall isnt to bad either this past summer was good because of low water conditions usually i catch a lot of blues until the water temp hits 45 degrees or above then they tend to scatter out and are tougher to find

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey guys. I've been fishing the stretch of the Miss about 30 south of St. Louis, but am seriously considering putting in at Alton and fishing the damns. I dont have any problems with the boat, or rigging, or even getting bait, however if someone wouldnt mind sharing some methods for locating fish in that area it would be greatly appreciated. I like fishing primarily for the bigger Blue Cats, as the little ones just kind of make me mad. LOL. Im strickly catch and release so wont be taking no ones fish. How close to the damn, wing dykes, open channel holes, boat positioning, etc etc. Thanks ahead of time for the information.

13. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey Driver Gimme a shout whenever ya wanna get on those kitties up my way. I would be willing to go out with ya. I always love fishin with new friends. I Can show ya 2 warm water spots on the miss and some good locales, and if that fails we can hit the missouri, lots of awesome holes at the confluence. Gimme a holler dude.

14. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Hey Slider you ever do any fishing around Quincy,Il.

15. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    man blue bruiser, the areas your naming off are a freakin wet dream to me. we all know that there are world record class blues all over that area. ive even told my buddies here that im moving up there when i go pro...:cool:

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Bruiser, UR ON!!!. Drop me your personal information so I can contact you. I'd like to try and get out in the next month or so. I dont mind the cold air. I figure if I can sit in a treestand when its 5 degress and wait on a dumb animal with horns, I can certainly get out there for the kitties. I'll put your number in my phone so we can get out and try these areas. It takes me about an hour to driver to Alton. We can meet up somewhere, and you can show me where to put the boat in at. Kutter, another BOC member would like to come with also. I think hes kind of a WIMP with the cold weather though. (JK Tom). Cant wait to fish.