When to start below dams?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by gdog bigcat, Feb 23, 2008.

1. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You Ohio guys post some great information and ask good questions. Here's my question: when do blues gather below dams on the Ohio? I assume they go downriver to bigger holes in the middle of winter, although we caught blues below Markland in late November. Do they really leave? And if so, when do they come back? (Water temp, month, etc.) Thanks in advance.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Although they are the most knowledgeable o flatheads, I'mot really sure a blues? What do you know about blues, Skip?

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its hard to say, and to be honest I think it has more to do with the food supply than water temperature. If you are catching blues at any given time of year below dams, its probably because they are following the baitfish that head that direction. I have heard of shad moving upstream in the spring to spawn, and well as other species. What I do is monitor what stretch of river holds the abundance of bait fish, if it happens to be below a dam then so be it. Regardless, the blues are going to be behind the bait, stick to that and you should do really well. Just my thoughts...:wink:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When we caught our blues in January we were 40 or more miles from any dam I think lol. I just assume that there will always be at least some blues under a dam year round. Its like that on my little river for channels. I can't say for sure if the blues make a rush on the dams every spring or not. I'd just go when you can and see what you get. Maybe one of those guys down Cincy way knows more.

5. gdog bigcat

gdog bigcat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the help, guys -- that all makes sense. I guess I am really wondering when skippies congregate below dams.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You can't go wrong if you follow the baitfish ... I would say to fish the backwash areas around the dams ...... Garry-