When To Set The Hook

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Jun 8, 2009.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I have been doing alot of bank fishing; caught some decent flatties, but I am missing more than I bring in. Started using circle hooks, love them on a boat, but was having trouble on shore. The other night I rerigged using plain hooks, landed 1 nice cat, but missed probably 4. Scenerio: there is a tap on the rod, tap again, not really a big jerk, and I just don't knw when to get my rod and set the hook. I have my rods, usuallt 3, in your conventional stick with a fork. HELP!!!! :sad2:
    Another question, when fishing with bluegill, do you put the entire fish on your hook or do you cut it up?? Do they have to be live or just recently dead??? :confused2:

Linda

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Linda....I use my bluegills live when fishing for flatheads, but cut baits work too. I wouldn't abandon the circle hooks just yet. I've been having good luck on them for the last few months using cut baits from the bank. I have learned to let the rod load up before even picking it up. And once the rod is bending, pulling steadily back while reeling. Havent lost one yet. I still use King Kahle hooks for live baits...seems to work better for me this way.:big_smile: Good Luck!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There will be a difference of opinion on my answer. I would suggest that you use kahle hooks for Flatheads not circles. This way you can set the hook when he starts to load up. With circles you need to wait until he has pulled the rod down and holds it. Ref: bluegill, If it is dead I would chunk it up. If it is alive I would fish it whole. You need to pay special attention to leaving the hook point exposed.l

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    im gonna start using big J hooks for flats this coming summer

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    no you aint your going to be to busy with the channel cats and stripers....:smile2:

6. villcat

villcat New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used the Gama Circle Octopus for about 2 weeks and moved away from them. My situation is a bit different since I am drift fishing, but I was losing alot of fish with the Circles. Went back to the regular Gama octopus hooks, 8/0. All of my rods have bait alert so I usually let them run for a good 5 seconds before locking it in a setting the hook. I ignore the taps. I wait for them to run away with it before I pay them any mind.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I ignore the taps as well I wait till she dubbles on over. trying to hook a tapping fish it so frustrating . I have in my experinces found that tapping is trutels or blue gills and not a cat at all and have packed up and moved on down because of it. and I have also had fish swim into the line that will give you two good taps as well most of the time. I would just say try and learn to leave your rods alone untill you get the fish that just wants it.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I did better last night. She has crested but not dropping yet, I wanted to take advantage of the water still being up. I had tapping on my rod several times, left the rod along. In about 15 minutes, rod jerks down and I landed a 1 lb blue cat. :big_smile:

I was only going to fish for 30 minutes, with that nice blue, went up the hill, got my lantern and fished until 11:30 pm. Caught several more flatties, but I am learning to let them tap and wait for the jerk. Once I get my confidence back up, will probably switch back to the circle hooks as they are my favorite.

Thanks to all of you for your advice!! :wink:

9. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am still using circle hooks and have very good luck, but I do fish from a boat. When my rod tip bounces I pick up my rod trying not to move the line. I wait until I can feel the fish and set the hook with a sweeping motion. The only time I have any trouble is when the fish are very small. In that situation I change to a smaller hook. I like to use 6/0 and 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks. I generally land 75-80% of my fish. My son lands more than I do and he is only 11. I hope this helps and good luck.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I am catching smaller cats up to 5 lbs. I use a num.2 thru 3/0 don't need a huge circle for smaller cats and it coner hooks instead of eye hooking smaller cats . I stick with circles or change to all kahles or j hooks BECAUSE i get confused what hook is on what pole in the heat of the moment but pretty much just use circles . 3/0 to 5/0 on jugs . If the rod has steady pressure I usually keep pressure and start reeling and a meduim pace hook sharpness makes a big difference as well.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Get ya some rod holders, and let the rod load up then just reel em in with the circle hooks. My soon tried circle hooks for the first time the other night. I explained that you don't jerk!! He said they are fool-proof, and that it took the fun of jerking out of the picture. I also explain that since I'm getting around slow than I once did that I needed all the fool-proof I could get. I love the circle hooks

12. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    I use J hooks.....flatheads have only been in the river system i fish for about 15 years.....but were already catching fish upto around 40 lbs. My catch rate has gone way up by feeding them line....and i came up with a simple and cheap way to turn any spinning reel into a bait runner type. For the record i have 2 bait runner reels...a shimano bait runner and a penn captiva....and dont fish with either of them, lots of dropped baits from the fish feeling the tension i guess. Since were fishing decent sized baits...even though the rod would load up we still pulled our share of hooks while lip hooking the baits.....common sense would say to hook them in the back or around the anal fin but i just dont get as many bites hooking baits there....so heres my system hope it helps some one out.

A simple clothes pin.....take a 15-18" piece of mono and run it through the spring of the clothes pin and tie a knot.....tie the other end to either the stick your propping your rod on or to the pole holder on the boat so when the line the pin is attached to is pulled tight it reaches mid way between the reel and the first eye closest to the reel. Cast out your bait and let it get settled.....clip the clothes pin to the line and open your bail....simple as that, it really helps when you get those toying around with it bites....you can unclip the line and pick up the rod without them feeling any extra tension....which i feel sometimes makes them drop the bait. The other nice thig about it is no more worrying about loosing a pole from one of those slammer bites....fish plows the bait and the pin snaps free....close the bail and swing for the fence. One last tip ...if your feeding them the bait and giving them line i usually give an 8-10 count.....reel all the slack out and get the belly out of the line before you set the hook for a solid hook up....hope it helps...it has been working extremely well for me.

13. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I love circle hooks. I like gamakatsu octupus circle hooks. They have a wider gap and alway seem to hook up more than any other circle hooks ive used. I use at least a 7/0 or larger if im using any live bait for big flatties. I like the plain octupus hook to. The barb is not angled in so you can set the hook and it still has wide gap that gives you a better hook up.:smile2:

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use big gill with the reel set and let the hook to the work just put the rod in a good holder and wait for the fish to slam it and then their hooked.Flats will di scale a fish sometime before swallowing it thats probly what you getting witht hwe small bites but just sit back and wait.

15. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have noticed lately that the standard J hooks are either comming with little or no shank to barb offset. I do not know if it is due to the mfg going overseas or if it is a trend but the flat J's miss fish. I prefer to put a slight bend in them on the back side of the hook to put the point at about a 15 degree angle to the rest of the shank. ( I bend it at the very end of the bent part before it straightens out for the shank) Bending the point to the side dose not seem to work as good for me.

16. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I like to let 'em run for a few seconds as well before I lock and set. Gettin taps is really frustrating for me too. I'm gonna use some dynamite eventually, that'll bring 'em up:smile2: